"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I so dislike being the village idiot - way too many people point that out to me....right regular.

but, can someone explain why the air sac in an egg keeps getting bigger while the egg is absorbing odors from the refrigerator?

like comma the air sac getting bigger means that there is a constant consistent continued exodus of "vapours" from the egg.

with all that exiting the egg, how does the refrigerator odor get into the egg?
do the bad odors wait for the defrost cycle to 'enter the egg'?

oh, and should anyone think that a paper / EPS egg carton is any kind of air / moisture / odor barrier..... not really. sorry about that.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
I so dislike being the village idiot - way too many people point that out to me....right regular.

but, can someone explain why the air sac in an egg keeps getting bigger while the egg is absorbing odors from the refrigerator?

like comma the air sac getting bigger means that there is a constant consistent continued exodus of "vapours" from the egg.

with all that exiting the egg, how does the refrigerator odor get into the egg?
do the bad odors wait for the defrost cycle to 'enter the egg'?

oh, and should anyone think that a paper / EPS egg carton is any kind of air / moisture / odor barrier..... not really. sorry about that.
The egg shell is porous. So as you know part of the white of the egg consists partly of water. That water evaporates through the shell that is porous. Odors go through those pores and water evaporates through them in the opposite direction.

Put a warm head of cooked cabbage or cauliflower in the fridge and see what your eggs taste like after sitting on the shelf out of the carton. The carton is better protection than none at all. A lot of folks will purchase a plastic container meant for eggs and transfer their eggs to that. Tupperware sells them. And you can also find them on eBay. Or if your grocery store sells eggs in one of those clear plastic egg cartons, buy a dozen, and hang onto the empty carton to refill it with your regular eggs.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

And you are not the Village Idiot. Not is this village anyhow. We don't have idiots. Just nice people.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #24
Sous Chef

thanks Addie,

but there's a couple of issues.

the initial egg volume loss is carbon dioxide.
the next volume loss is water vapor.

the CO2 and the H2O are in a constant stream "out of the egg"

the suggestion that odors - much bigger molecules than CO2 and H2O some how move in the opposite direction just does not work with real science.

I was the Technical Services Director for a (then) large corporation selling packaging products to what shall be an un-named very large company - started with P and G - who had the rather nasty habit of checking all their supplier claims. I guess I may have an unfair advantage to understanding how various 'vapours' move around the world and through various materials.

that a paper/EPS/thermoformed plastic egg carton per the typical design is a "barrier" to any kind of moisture / gas loss / gain inside a refrigerator is, sorry - but put bluntly/truthfully - quite contradictory to the real world.

>>Put a warm head of cooked cabbage or cauliflower in the fridge
neither is out-gassing.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And you are not the Village Idiot. Not is this village anyhow. We don't have idiots. Just nice people.
+1
I'm the village idiot. Just ask my boss. In reality, I do have an answer for you.

As Addie said, egg whites contain a fair amount of water. Steam will not go through the egg shell, but water vapor will (think GoreTex). As the vapor exits the egg, probably due to osmotic pressure, a vacuum is formed that draws in air and any odor molecules small enough to pass through the pores. This is why the bubble forms, and enlarges over time, and the eggs absorb other flavors.

As for the paper carton, it helps, but as you said, won't seal the eggs completely against odors. But then, neither will plastic. We used plastic shells to contain lead-acid batteries that we sold to customers. We used plastic because the outgassed hydrogen from the batteries, if contained by a metal enclosure, created an explosion hazard. The hydrogen molecules though, were small enough to pass through the plastic shell, nearly unimpeded, eliminating hydrogen buildup.

So yes, paper cartons help. Plastic helps more. But the best way to keep your eggs from gaining unwanted flavors is to use them up within a week or so after purchase.

Hope that helps.

Now, I think I'll go home, make mistakes while creating Easter goodies, and be the village idiot. And remember, when people think you're the village idiot, they expect less of you, and you can get more of what you want to do done.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
Master Chef

Site Administrator

In our fridge we have an egg tray, not covered, just a tray. Our eggs are fine.

Not that I make it a habit of having foul smelling things in the fridge. But there are times that something does have a strong smell, like cabbage, and we never have any issues with the taste of the egg.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #27
Sous Chef

>> As the vapor exits the egg, probably due to osmotic pressure, a vacuum is formed that draws in air and any odor molecules small enough to pass through the pores. This is why the bubble forms

aaaahhhhh, hold on a sec.

the VI wants to know, why is a really fresh egg white cloudy? why does a really fresh egg white become "clear" with age?

the egg has a yolk, the egg has a white, there is a membrane between the white bit and the shell.

so the theory is "something" inside the yolk/white "exits" - to "exit" that "something" has to pass through the membrane.

the air sac forms between the membrane and the shell. if proof is required, go peel an egg.

the "something" - having exited the yolk/white and passed through the membrane, must now "exit" the actual shell faster than something else on the 'outside pushing in' to create the 'vacuum' into which odors are drawn.

do I got this right?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #28
Master Chef

I believe you've got it. I would suspect that the membrane that is against the shell is a semi-permeable membrane, like that membrane that separates the intestinal tract from the blood vessels that absorb nutrients from the gut.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I thought I was the Village Idiot...maybe maybe demoted to Court jester...
Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I honestly don't know if eggs can absorb fridge odours. I read it on a egg site. I leave my eggs in the carton, whether it's cardboard or plastic. I use the egg tray in the fridge for hard boiled eggs.

Tags
egg, how to, water