"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Cook

How to stop fat splattering all over the oven?

When I fry on the stove top I have a net with a handle on it that I put over the pan and it stops 90% of the oil from splattering everywhere whilst allowing air to get to the food.

I have looked for something similar on the internet that I can use in the oven without success.

I'm talking about roasting chicken thighs or breasts etc and not huge pieces of meat or a whole fowl.

If anyone has a link to a simple net that I can place over a roasting pan or even a pan that has it's own net then please post it.

thanks

Mike

Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think you will find anything like that "pan specific", but why not just use a piece of screen cut to size, or maybe a SS screen used for grilling fish and delicate items (they come in various sizes), or take a hammer to your existing splatter catcher and remove the plastic handle?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Cook

G'day Mike,

I would like to answer you...But i find I have to ask questions rather than answer...

Why would you being wanting to roast wings and breasts? A whole bird I understand. But wings and breasts can be done better on a burner (your stove top). Sure, wings might take a little longer because they don't lay flat...But a breast lays flat and only takes a few minutes. By the time your oven heats up, you could have it all done in a pan on the stove top!

Any way, whatever reason...Why not put pen to paper and design the thing yourself? Then you could sell it on one of those midnight infomercial shows for $69.95...Wow, if you sold 2 mil in the first year (which is realistic) at 10%...you do the math!...But I expect 5% for giving you the idea!

Really though...Just put some foil over the wings. If you really need or want air flow, then just leave one or two corners of the foil up a little. You can even just sort of scrunch a sheet of foil and just lay it on top.

If you realy want or need a mesh type system, you can use one of those pastry rollers. Yeah, I am qualified and all, but it don't mean I remember everything!!! so I don't remember what it's called...You can Google for it. It's a roller for making little holes in pastry. Roll it over a sheet of foil several times and bingo one oven ready splatter guard!

Now lets talk about the infomercial....

EDIT: Sorry, I see you said thighs, not wings...same, same.
KissTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissTC View Post
You can even just sort of scrunch a sheet of foil and just lay it on top.
I was going to suggest this, too.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Cook

Pacanis, KissTC & bowlingshirt - thanks for your replies.

The reason for my origainal question was that I recently posted a question about roasting bags and the unanimous response was 'forget about them' mostly because the meat or fowl etc ends up steamed and not roasted.

The reason that I don't like cooking chicken thighs on the stove top is that it seems almost impossible to completely cook the inside without ruining the outside. The inside always seems bloody.

I lived in Brazil for a year and they are masters of barbecuing and they always boil thighs for 10-15 minutes after having added garlic and coriander to the water or other herbs or spices. That way, they brown and crisp the outsides on the barbecue and never have to worry about the inside being raw.

Mike
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Nothing worse ever, than having chicken not done in the middle. My dear mother would get so upset when eating at someone's home and have to leave some of the chicken on her plate as it was still pink. She told me that hurt her that someone never got it done. It isn't good to eat chicken raw. No wonder people have stomach trouble.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike View Post
The reason that I don't like cooking chicken thighs on the stove top is that it seems almost impossible to completely cook the inside without ruining the outside. The inside always seems bloody.
It's your technique.

Let the chicken come to room temp, about 10-15 minutes before cooking. Lower the heat on your stove to medium after the pan has warmed up. To achieve moister white meat, add a little liquid or broth to the pan and cover after it has been browned on all sides. The liquid and cover provide a bigger window for doneness so you don't wind up with dry or raw meat.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
It's your technique.

Let the chicken come to room temp, about 10-15 minutes before cooking. Lower the heat on your stove to medium after the pan has warmed up. To achieve moister white meat, add a little liquid or broth to the pan and cover after it has been browned on all sides. The liquid and cover provide a bigger window for doneness so you don't wind up with dry or raw meat.
+1

Yes, your temp is too high and for sure, let the chicken come to room temp. first. Also, feel free to place your piece of chicken in a heavy zip-lock baggie and pound out the thicker areas, making everything even. Once you feel you are about to overcook the chicken on the stove you can move to the oven to finish for about 15 minutes. Soaking overnight in buttermilk will also produce a juicier piece of chicken. I've soaked as long as 3 days.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
Cook

thank you Jeekinz and kitchenelf

I will try your suggestions.

At age 63 I am fortunate to have only been ill a handfull of times in my life and twice was from Salmonella.

Once was about 40 years ago from eggs and the other time was from chicken about 2 years ago and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Hence my caution ...

Mike
Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Mike, it seems to me that you wish to roast the chicken pieces in the oven in leau of cooking them on the stove but not have the problem of oil splatter in the oven.
Personally I think your Brazilian friends have the right idea, par boil them and then instead of roasting them, deep fry them. They will take up no more oil this way than they will in the oven roasted in oil, probably less.