How to store Bacon Drippings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my Granma stored hers in a brown teapot that had a ceramic strainer in it at the very top (wished that I had gotten it) and it sat on top of her stove.........guess it got used up quickly to spoil when we stayed with her (4 of us) and nothing better than bacon flavored popcorn with homemade lemonade on a hot as hades afternoon in TX.............though she fussed a lot she loved having the crowd of kissing cousins over for the afternoons........she'd also rub it over her homemade loaves of bread and cover them...........

My Mom used to put a dollop on the dog's food every once in a while. They loved it and she said a little fat was good for their coats. I use it to cook eggs in, also pork chops if you want a really great gravy. I keep it in the fridge. Lasts forever as far as I can tell!

i don't use bacon drippings all that much.

to get a GREAT bacon-flavoring to my greens, beans, etc., i use minor's bacon base; you get the deep intense flavor in a concentrated form.

just add a tablespoon or two to your softened veggies or to your roux, and there you go.

LOL..... I have a problem, I think I am a budding hoarder....
I thought I just had the container in the freezer.....
I found a jar of bacon drippings in the fridge yesterday too!
I guess I can stop saving them for a little while!

I buy very lean applewood smoked bacon from Trader Joes and there is very little grease left. But what I do have - usually about a Tablspoon or two, I keep in a tiny container with a lid in my fridge. I use a teaspoon or so for green beans, hash browns, eggs and sauteeing cabbage (awesome!) but it stays fresh for a month or so. Be sure to strain the grease through a couple thicknesses of cheesecloth to get the food bits out of the grease or it will spoil sooner.

BTW, for sauteeing cabbage here's what I do:
Fry 1 or 2 slices of bacon til somewhat crisp. Set aside to cool.
Chop or slice cabbage and add to the bacon grease in the pan. Saute for about 2 minutes on med/low heat stirring all the while, then break up the bacon and add the pieces to the cabbage.
Add 2 or 3 Tablespoons water, turn to low, cover and cook til cabbage is crisp tender. Be sure to cook on low heat or it will brown. Stir often and add a little water if it dries out. Fantastic!! And you can't believe how great the house smells. Neither can your neighbors. :LOL:

That sounds sooo good! I'm glad I haven't gone grocery shopping yet! :-p

Thank you everyone....GREAT ideas here! Much more than I expected, exactly the reason why I love this site, so many new ideas out there. Something old to one person is completely new and exciting to another!! :chef:

My dads girlfriend used to store hers in a container on the counter - next to the stove. We never got sick so I'm thinking it was okay, but she did use it up quite quickly, she was a good cook and loved being in the kitchen. :)

Back
Top Bottom