How to store Bacon Drippings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
What is the best way to store bacon grease and how long can you keep it for?? Right now I have about a cups worth in and screw top jar in the fridge.....should I freeze it?

TIA!!:chef:

Hey Dee.... I have a container that I store in the fridge butter keeper section. I'm sure you could freeze it if you don't use it very often. Bacon grease around here is pretty much a food staple, you can imagine our cholesterol readings!!! ;)

Hi Lady Sattie!
I've always just thrown it away before, but I decided to keep it this time since I saw a recipe asking for it.

So how long is it good for in the fridge would you guess? And what do you do with yours, I would love some ideas so I too can make my cholesterol soar!! :ROFLMAO:;)

Hey Dee.... I have a container that I store in the fridge butter keeper section. I'm sure you could freeze it if you don't use it very often. Bacon grease around here is pretty much a food staple, you can imagine our cholesterol readings!!! ;)

I keep mine in a glass jar in fridge too. I have for years.
It's the only way to fry an egg!

My mom used to save her bacon grease in either a coffee can or a sealer, whichever she had handy, in the fridge. She used it so regularly that it never had a chance to go bad or get to the freezer. Of course those were the days before cholesterol and hardened arteries were acknowledged....and we all survived!

You got excellent advice here Miss Dee!!! I use it to do pancakes or french toast, eggs, just about any veggie you want to pan fry, I used it to brown my osso bucco last night. Anything you want a hint of bacon flavor, use bacon grease. It is a wonderful cooking medium to have on hand.

Hope you are doing well!

I store mine in the frig also. I just use a mason jar.

It's also good to fry potatoes in....yummy!!

Barb

I use a 1 pound coffee can in the fridge. There is nothing better for fried hash browns.

I buy very lean applewood smoked bacon from Trader Joes and there is very little grease left. But what I do have - usually about a Tablspoon or two, I keep in a tiny container with a lid in my fridge. I use a teaspoon or so for green beans, hash browns, eggs and sauteeing cabbage (awesome!) but it stays fresh for a month or so. Be sure to strain the grease through a couple thicknesses of cheesecloth to get the food bits out of the grease or it will spoil sooner.

BTW, for sauteeing cabbage here's what I do:
Fry 1 or 2 slices of bacon til somewhat crisp. Set aside to cool.
Chop or slice cabbage and add to the bacon grease in the pan. Saute for about 2 minutes on med/low heat stirring all the while, then break up the bacon and add the pieces to the cabbage.
Add 2 or 3 Tablespoons water, turn to low, cover and cook til cabbage is crisp tender. Be sure to cook on low heat or it will brown. Stir often and add a little water if it dries out. Fantastic!! And you can't believe how great the house smells. Neither can your neighbors. :LOL:

We keep ours in a coffee can in the fridge. I forget to use it though ...

My grandmother makes a cake using it - strangely comforting flavor. I'll see if I can get it if anyone is interested.

Katie E has it right about having to chip away and scrape at it if it's frozen. I've been fighting with mine whenever I go to use some. Next time I'm going to store it in the fridge and when it's nice and congealed, spoon it onto wax paper to freeze it. Like I do with tomato paste. Then I can grab as many globs as I think I'll need.

...Next time I'm going to store it in the fridge and when it's nice and congealed, spoon it onto wax paper to freeze it. Like I do with tomato paste. Then I can grab as many globs as I think I'll need.

That's a good idea. I wonder about spooning it into an ice cube tray. When all the spots were full and frozen, you could dump into a sealed container. Hmmmm ...

You can also let it cool a bit, then pour into a ziplock bag. Seal it and lay it flat in the freezer. Then you can just open it up, crack off a piece and seal it back up.
Mine is currently residing in a container in the fridge, but I used to do it that way.

I save bacon grease, home made demi-glace, shmaltz, and even whipping cream by freezing in ice cube trays and storing in zip-lock bags in the freezer. Most things just pop out of the plastic ice cube trays. Sometimes I have to dip the bottom into warm water in the sink. When you need some, just grab a cube.

We keep ours in a coffee can in the fridge. I forget to use it though ...

My grandmother makes a cake using it - strangely comforting flavor. I'll see if I can get it if anyone is interested.

Oh, yeah! I'm interested, J!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom