"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #61
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I'm a Coke Zero guy, too..
Same here. I'm a recent convert. I don't drink diet soda much at all, but once in a while I like a Rum & Coke. I can't deal with sugary soda, though, so I reluctantly ask for Diet Coke instead.

Last year at a bar I ordered a Rum & Diet Coke, and it was wonderful. It tasted so much like real Coke, I had to ask the bartender if he had made a mistake. Turns out it was Coke Zero. As far as sodas go, it's the only kind I'll drink now.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

In the context of that guy ordering massive amounts of food and a Diet Coke to go with it, I got chuckle out of that.

If I feel like soda it's always the diet variety. Nothing to do with calories, and like many, I don't like the taste of regular soda, they're too rich and syrupy tasting for me.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #63
Master Chef

The aftertaste of Diet drinks is what gets to me. Then again, I prefer a good unsweetened iced tea to any soda.

CD
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #64
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
In the context of that guy ordering massive amounts of food and a Diet Coke to go with it, I got chuckle out of that.

If I feel like soda it's always the diet variety. Nothing to do with calories, and like many, I don't like the taste of regular soda, they're too rich and syrupy tasting for me.
They used to be better. I remember as a kid in the 1970's the sodas were made from real sugar. You'd put 20 cents in the pop machine and pull out a super cold bottle of pop. You'd swig it down and then sit the empty in the wood crate next to the machine.

My dad was a mechanic at a shop that had one of those. I think they had RC Cola, Fanta Orange, Fanta Strawberry, root beer.

Now I usually just have a glass of draft beer when we go out, or if it's before 2 I'll have some coffee.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
They used to be better. I remember as a kid in the 1970's the sodas were made from real sugar.
They use real sugar in Hansen's sodas. I buy them for my father.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
The aftertaste of Diet drinks is what gets to me. Then again, I prefer a good unsweetened iced tea to any soda.

CD
I don't drink soda unless Jeannie and I are sharing a drink (she prefers Dr. Pepper) at a FF place.. I always order unsweetened iced tea with a meal...

Ross
Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I don't drink soda unless Jeannie and I are sharing a drink (she prefers Dr. Pepper) at a FF place.. I always order unsweetened iced tea with a meal...

Ross
Just about the only soda I ever drink is Dr. Pepper. It is a real Texas thing.

CD
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #68
Master Chef

Once in a while, I get a hankering for Vernor's and once in a great, great while Birch Beer.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Ooh, birch beer. There's a pizza place near my old house that still sells it from their fountain. Although, it's not that great; just a sort of light cola dyed red.

The best I've had was real birch beer, and root beer for that matter, in Pa.'s Amish country. Certain farmhouses sell the concentrate. I tasted a drop of it straight up, and it's nasty on its own, so you need to add a ton of sugar to the carbonated water.

I was thinking of trying agave syrup with it next time, or maybe stevia.

Casey, we mostly drink unsweetened iced tea, especially when we eat out. So much so that it's one of those things that we use to judge the restaurant's first impressions, along with the bread and the initial service. If the service is quick, and the bread is good, AND they have good, unsweetened iced tea, it's usually going to be a good meal.

Have you ever tried Korean bori-cha, or oksusu-cha? Unsweetened roasted barley tea, and roasted corn tea, respectively.

If you like unsweetened tea, you'll love these. Served hot or cold, they're frighin' addictive.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #70
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Casey, we mostly drink unsweetened iced tea, especially when we eat out. So much so that it's one of those things that we use to judge the restaurant's first impressions, along with the bread and the initial service. If the service is quick, and the bread is good, AND they have good, unsweetened iced tea, it's usually going to be a good meal.

Have you ever tried Korean bori-cha, or oksusu-cha? Unsweetened roasted barley tea, and roasted corn tea, respectively.

If you like unsweetened tea, you'll love these. Served hot or cold, they're frighin' addictive.
I have not tried them. Sounds interesting. Do you buy it bottled, or is it a restaurant or fresh-brew thing?

CD
Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

During the summer we always keep a pitcher of mugicha (barley tea) in the fridge. They come in giant tea bags so they’re easy to brew.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, mugicha us the Japanese word for it. I prefer it cold, too. Even in winter.

I but the bags of loose roasted grains and make it in a stock pot, then strain into a pitcher. Great stuff.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Ooh, birch beer. There's a pizza place near my old house that still sells it from their fountain. Although, it's not that great; just a sort of light cola dyed red.

The best I've had was real birch beer, and root beer for that matter, in Pa.'s Amish country. Certain farmhouses sell the concentrate. I tasted a drop of it straight up, and it's nasty on its own, so you need to add a ton of sugar to the carbonated water.

I was thinking of trying agave syrup with it next time, or maybe stevia.

No, but I'm very partial to Soju!

Tags
food, how to