How to tell if restaurant food is pre-made...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a Coke Zero guy, too..
Same here. I'm a recent convert. I don't drink diet soda much at all, but once in a while I like a Rum & Coke. I can't deal with sugary soda, though, so I reluctantly ask for Diet Coke instead.

Last year at a bar I ordered a Rum & Diet Coke, and it was wonderful. It tasted so much like real Coke, I had to ask the bartender if he had made a mistake. Turns out it was Coke Zero. As far as sodas go, it's the only kind I'll drink now.

In the context of that guy ordering massive amounts of food and a Diet Coke to go with it, I got chuckle out of that.

If I feel like soda it's always the diet variety. Nothing to do with calories, and like many, I don't like the taste of regular soda, they're too rich and syrupy tasting for me.

The aftertaste of Diet drinks is what gets to me. Then again, I prefer a good unsweetened iced tea to any soda.

CD

In the context of that guy ordering massive amounts of food and a Diet Coke to go with it, I got chuckle out of that.

If I feel like soda it's always the diet variety. Nothing to do with calories, and like many, I don't like the taste of regular soda, they're too rich and syrupy tasting for me.

They used to be better. I remember as a kid in the 1970's the sodas were made from real sugar. You'd put 20 cents in the pop machine and pull out a super cold bottle of pop. You'd swig it down and then sit the empty in the wood crate next to the machine.

My dad was a mechanic at a shop that had one of those. I think they had RC Cola, Fanta Orange, Fanta Strawberry, root beer.

Now I usually just have a glass of draft beer when we go out, or if it's before 2 I'll have some coffee.

The aftertaste of Diet drinks is what gets to me. Then again, I prefer a good unsweetened iced tea to any soda.

CD
I don't drink soda unless Jeannie and I are sharing a drink (she prefers Dr. Pepper) at a FF place.. I always order unsweetened iced tea with a meal...

Ross

I don't drink soda unless Jeannie and I are sharing a drink (she prefers Dr. Pepper) at a FF place.. I always order unsweetened iced tea with a meal...

Ross

Just about the only soda I ever drink is Dr. Pepper. It is a real Texas thing.

CD

Once in a while, I get a hankering for Vernor's and once in a great, great while Birch Beer.

Ooh, birch beer. There's a pizza place near my old house that still sells it from their fountain. Although, it's not that great; just a sort of light cola dyed red.

The best I've had was real birch beer, and root beer for that matter, in Pa.'s Amish country. Certain farmhouses sell the concentrate. I tasted a drop of it straight up, and it's nasty on its own, so you need to add a ton of sugar to the carbonated water.

I was thinking of trying agave syrup with it next time, or maybe stevia.

Casey, we mostly drink unsweetened iced tea, especially when we eat out. So much so that it's one of those things that we use to judge the restaurant's first impressions, along with the bread and the initial service. If the service is quick, and the bread is good, AND they have good, unsweetened iced tea, it's usually going to be a good meal.

Have you ever tried Korean bori-cha, or oksusu-cha? Unsweetened roasted barley tea, and roasted corn tea, respectively.

If you like unsweetened tea, you'll love these. Served hot or cold, they're frighin' addictive.

Casey, we mostly drink unsweetened iced tea, especially when we eat out. So much so that it's one of those things that we use to judge the restaurant's first impressions, along with the bread and the initial service. If the service is quick, and the bread is good, AND they have good, unsweetened iced tea, it's usually going to be a good meal.

Have you ever tried Korean bori-cha, or oksusu-cha? Unsweetened roasted barley tea, and roasted corn tea, respectively.

If you like unsweetened tea, you'll love these. Served hot or cold, they're frighin' addictive.

I have not tried them. Sounds interesting. Do you buy it bottled, or is it a restaurant or fresh-brew thing?

CD

Yes, mugicha us the Japanese word for it. I prefer it cold, too. Even in winter.

I but the bags of loose roasted grains and make it in a stock pot, then strain into a pitcher. Great stuff.

Ooh, birch beer. There's a pizza place near my old house that still sells it from their fountain. Although, it's not that great; just a sort of light cola dyed red.

The best I've had was real birch beer, and root beer for that matter, in Pa.'s Amish country. Certain farmhouses sell the concentrate. I tasted a drop of it straight up, and it's nasty on its own, so you need to add a ton of sugar to the carbonated water.

I was thinking of trying agave syrup with it next time, or maybe stevia.

No, but I'm very partial to Soju!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom