How to transport Italian Sausages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hook and Crook

Assistant Cook
Aack!!!! Got a question. We are in the process of moving and on Tuesday will be driving from here to there -- a 10 hour trip. I have 2 lbs of Italian Sausage in my freezer. I was gonna fix Sausage and Peppers tomorrow night, but I think we'll do one final BBQ instead (pork chops).

Soooo ... my question is ... Do you think the sausage would survive approx 10 hours in the cooler in the car? The cooler would be packed with ice, sausage, nuts that have been in the freezer and possibly some other items from the freezer/refrigerator.

TIA!
HnC

I'm pretty sure they'll be fine. Just be sure to stick them in the freezer as soon as you
get to your new home.

Wrap them well ( in plastic and then newspapers) you may need to get more ice on the way.

Good luck!

A cooler full of ice and frozen or refrigerated foods can last for a weekend. A ten-hour trip should not be a problem at all.

Good luck with your move.

Wow! Thanks for the very fast responses. Extra wrap and extra ice it shall be.

Thanks for the well wishes on the move. I'm crossing my fingers that everything fits in the trailer.

Robo410 said:
but if thawed, cookem when ya get there.

That's what I was going to say too - if, however, there are still ice crystals in the packaging and you can tell the insides are still frozen you can re-freeze. Otherwise, that would be my first meal I'd cook :chef:

To keep from having to replenish ice constantly and winding up with a cooler full of water, fill plastic soda pop (water,whatever) bottles about 80% full (leave room for expansion) and freeze with loosened lids. Tighten when frozen, then pop into your cooler. You'll have bottles of ice water to drink along the way, they thaw slower that bag ice or ice cubes, and your food doesn't get soggy.

Some of our grocery stores around here have dry ice. Freeze the stuff and put the dry ice on top. Ten hours should be no problem if it is all packed well.

Sorry, It'll be ruined... drop it off at my house and I'll dispose of it for you... :angel:

tj said:
Some of our grocery stores around here have dry ice. Freeze the stuff and put the dry ice on top. Ten hours should be no problem if it is all packed well.

I agree. I moved a few years ago, and drove 20 hours straight, and had some frozen goodies in a small cooler with a block of dry ice. When we got here, some of the dry ice was still left, and none of the food had thawed.

Back
Top Bottom