How to use fresh corn tortillas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
I sometimes make buritos by using flour totillas, which are pretty flexible to be rolled. I just bought freshly made corn totillas and tried to make buritos. The corn totillas are not really workable; they break into pieces. I am not sure how to use them, really, but I just assumed i could use them the same way as the flour ones to make buritos.

Please educate me about corn totillas. How do I use them? They are so small (5" round) that it's impossible to roll them up. If they are not for rolling up, what are they for? How to eat them? What to eat them with? etc etc Thanks

I use them when i make cheese enchiladas.
Dip them in hot oil quickly, this makes them pliable without breaking
Then i toss some montery jack on the tortilla, roll it up, and line them up in a baking dish ( which already has a layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom.

I fill the dish with rolled enchiladas, then dump more sauce on top.

Sprinkle some montery jack / cheddar mix on top an bake. Let cool a little and eat.

also, if u fry the corn tortilla long enough in oil, it will turn into a giant corn chip, which u can also place beans, meat, cheese .... and bake on top too.

I've never known anyone to use a corn tortilla to make a burrito. You're the first, however corn tortillas, as I recall, are used for dishes such as enchilladas, tostadas and taquitos. They can be rolled when humid and warmed, as in microwaved between layers of a damp dish towel. Good luck.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Oh, My!!!! See, nobody has done that before, because nobody is as dumb as I am:LOL::LOL::LOL:. that's why i still cannot cook... I never follow any recipe completely and try combine different things together. My brain, for some reason, rebels all the good things and traditions, despite the fact that I have never been successful on trying things out....

Thank you for educating me...... at least now I know how to use them

Hi Chueh, You ever go to Youtube?

Youtube will have some video's on how to roll up small tortilla's.

Also next time try to only put a bit of filling inside the tortilla shell and you will see a big difference!

If you simply heat them a bit on a grill or in a dry pan or over an open flame, corn tortillas will become flexible enough to fold into soft tacos (soft = not fried) but not enough to fold up for burritos. I find that steaming them can make them too soft, causing them to fall apart. However, it all varies from brand to brand and depends a lot on freshness.

for tacos, i quickly fry in hot oil. and i do mean quickly on one side, over and other side. they will fold nicely. probably could roll em i just never had

I do this also. I eat the leftover one too. I heat them on one side on a gas burner, flip, top with cheese, after the cheese melts, pull it off, top with shredded lettuce, fold and eat. YUMYUM.

If you simply heat them a bit on a grill or in a dry pan or over an open flame, corn tortillas will become flexible enough to fold into soft tacos (soft = not fried) but not enough to fold up for burritos. I find that steaming them can make them too soft, causing them to fall apart. However, it all varies from brand to brand and depends a lot on freshness.
Scotch is right,

The grill is the best way of making them pliable, then I normally throw them into the oven when I am done,

And cook them for about 10-15 minutes so that the edges can get crispy but everything else remains soft!

I do this also. I eat the leftover one too. I heat them on one side on a gas burner, flip, top with cheese, after the cheese melts, pull it off, top with shredded lettuce, fold and eat. YUMYUM.

since i live in southern calif. Mexican food is cooked by almost every household. i make tacos out of ground beef. sometimes i put stew meat in the crock pot till tender. shred and use for tacos. also make fish tacos. all of these are easy to do after barely cooked in oil

As already said nuke those bad boys.Paper towels keeps the condensation down.Nothing worse then a soggy tortilla.
Here they are nuked,then filled with Taquito meats,cheeses rolled then fried briefly.Or made into enchiladas.
You can also heat up some oil.Cut them into large strips,To make Tortilla Chips.Season them as you want.Great with home made salsa.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom