"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcome! You guys are all so helpful, and from all over the
world! Ok, Argamemon, no offense taken. I can't remember mom using garlic fresh. She was a great cook. Born in 1927, passed in 2000. She could cook, can,bake,pies, frostings,desserts,etc., all from scratch. My problem is I didn't pay attention to her cooking, I just ate it!
Cara, tryed garlic in the crockpot chicken, to much I think, also I think I over cooked it. The chicken was 210 degrees when I took it out.
Yakuta and Saraa are right, I think the garlic burnt, was to strong, bitter.
(Break time)

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'm back.
toni1948, yes I have a new chef knive my daughter gave me for Xmas. It's a Chicago Cutlery 8", cheap knive she bought at Walmart. The thing is new, but dull, need to sharpen it.
Anyway I think am learning, change that to I know I'm learning allot about garlic, thanks to you guy's.
Scotch, jennyema, jfield, Yakuta, Saraa, toni1948 and Argamemnon thanks for all of your help on peeling, slicing, storing, roasting, etc... all very helpful to me.
I can't get over how nice you guy's are to a total stranger. You have to go out of your way and it takes time and effort to be helpful and nice to your fellow human beings. You all need to pat yourselfs on the back because you have done that for me. I appreciate it very much!!! Hope to be hearing allot more from you guy's! Thanks again! Dave Lange

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Master Chef

No one's a stranger in our DC community, Dave!

Though some are stranger than others ... LOL

"Once you're here, you're family"

You'll find loads of friendly and knowledgeable people here.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
No one's a stranger in our DC community, Dave!

Though some are stranger than others ... LOL

"Once you're here, you're family"

You'll find loads of friendly and knowledgeable people here.
Amen to that! I just joined yesterday and I've already been overwhelmed with fantastic advice from very friendly people. I did a search for "peeling garlic" and found this thread...so apologies for bumping an old topic. But I thought the contributors might like to know that their advice was still relevant over a year later!

My boyfriend and I are major garlic nuts, can't get enough of it. Any recipe I cook that calls for garlic automatically gets 4x the amount suggested, often more. My boyfriend actually eats garlic straight out of the peel.

Anyway, I looked up this topic because I cook with fresh garlic all the time and the only thing I find challenging is getting it out of the darn skin! I have carpal tunnel syndrome and when I'm having a particularly bad flare-up it's really hard to do the tiny, tedious motions I usually follow to get my garlic out. I do own a garlic press but (once again) it's difficult to use with my wrist. The best method I've found for mincing garlic is almost identical to what Scotch describes. Very effective but definitely time consuming. If anyone has fresh tips for getting it out of the skin and mincing it quickly I'm all ears. I've tried using my food processor but it leaves big chunks that I end up cutting anyway, and then I've got 5x as many components to wash (no dishwasher!). In the end it's just less trouble to use the ol' knife 'n cutting board.

Question (for anyone still around to answer): Several of you suggested freezing the excess. I buy fresh garlic because it is so much more flavorful than dried garlic powder or canned/jarred garlic. Do you find that it loses any of the flavor in freezing?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Mayor, you'll love fresh garlic! But to keep your hands from stink'n too long(after cutting/handling) your supposed to rub your hands on stainless steel. I guess it works, I don't know, I use gloves.

I keep fresh garlic in the fridge, wrapped in paper towel. I have bought the prepeeled stuff in a plastic jar, kept in fridge and got moldy fast. Won't buy that again.

Something to try that smells and tastes fantastic is roasted garlic. I cut the top of the bulb(leave the root end alone) just enough to expose the cloves, wrap loose in foil to make a bowl and put in smoker or on grill. Great on steaks, mixed w/butter, etc.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Hey BigAL, do you have a quick 'n dirty trick for making / mixing garlic butter? If so can you walk me through it?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I'm lazy, I use a press and mix it w/ room temp/soft butter. Or use the garlic off the grill, mash it up, save the juice, put on the steak and add some butter.

Another way would be to use a spice grinder or blitzer/mixer and puree it and add to soft butter.

I'm not a cook or any wiz-kid. Another way is to use gray tape, bale'n wire, and wd-40.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Head Chef

Big Al, you sound like my kind of guy!! :)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
Head Chef

Wack it with your chefs knife and it peels itself.. As for garlic butter, cut the top of the whole head off garlic of to expose the flesh, place it in foil, drizzle with olive oil, s&p, and a sprinkling of your favorite herb, wrap it up pop it in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes and wala roasted, sweet, flavorful garlic.. Mash into your softened butter... YUM YUM!!!