How to use these rice wrappers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soma

Senior Cook
I bought these months ago, dry, and now have some filling for them....

RicePapers.JPG

Here's some chicken filling (with chinese cabbage, carrots, onions, mushrooms, fennel bulb and spices....all shredded):
ChickenFilling.JPG

The wrapper tells me how to roll them, but not ow to cook these ....maybe they are eaten raw? Can I cook them after wrapping?....how? In boiling water? deep fry in oil?

any and all suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

Last edited:
Rehydrate them in hot water.

Place on a paper towel. Put filling in the middle of the lower third of the wrapper.

Roll away from you one turn, tuck in sides, then finish rolling.

Do not cook them.

They are neat because they become translucent when wet. In Vietnamese restaurants, you often see them as summer rolls, and you can see the shrimp (boiled before assembling) and herbs along with shredded cabbage, carrots, chopped peanuts, etc which make up the filling for a cold appetizer. In a Vietnamese restaurant they'll be served with a fish-sauce based hot sauce for dipping (I think it's called nuac cham, as opposed to the fish sauce itself which is nuoc mam)(don't quote me on that, it's been awhile), but I, myself, buy pre-made sauces.

I've never tried cooking them because you have to wet them to make them pliable. I've always had them served cold, sometimes in a "roll them yourself" as a part of a many-course Vietnamese meal.

aaaooh, I see....not cooked! Thanks everyone!

I started to cook the filling, yep....fried the onions, mushrooms ....then added the pre-cooked chicken, raw carrots, raw cabbage....

maybe I will try a few of the rice ones, and do remainder of filling in bread, calzones..

I also made this pizza dough today:

BrdDough.JPG

2.5 cups white flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3 Tbsps olive oil, 1 tsp salt.

Decisions, decisions.....

I made calzones instead of using the rice wrappers. I hadn't realized that they were mostly for appetizers, and I want a heartier supper tonight.

I began making small calzones, but tired quickly (was out all afternoon), so ended up making one very large calzone, and freezing the leftover filling for soup tomorrow.

at top is an attempt to make a 'chicken bundle' like my cousin makes....and then the super-large calzone. I'll freeze it and when we're ready to serve it, with friends likely, I'll re-heat it in the toaster oven.....that's why I didn't over-brown it. Cooked the large one at 400 for 25 mins.

Hubby and I ate two other smaller ones for supper.

LgeCalzone.JPG

You can notice that I didn't fuss with the edges....so very tired this evening!

We often make the spring rolls as part of our "finger food" for New Year's Eve (we stay in, watch a movie, and nibble on all kinds of "appy type" things).

I have seen those wrappers used in fried egg rolls. They are generally smaller in diameter than regular egg rolls. I just bought a package of those papers, and I am going to to frying them. Will keep you posted on my results!

Don't fried egg rolls use egg roll wrappers? The ones I've seen are made of dough and not rice paper. I might be wrong, but I would think that if you tried to fry rice paper it would just disintegrate.

eggrollskins.jpg
My thoughts, exactly. They are so fragile once they are steamed to soften, I couldn't imagine trying to fry them....

I have seen those wrappers used in fried egg rolls. They are generally smaller in diameter than regular egg rolls. I just bought a package of those papers, and I am going to to frying them. Will keep you posted on my results!

Be sure your fillings are cooked. Soak the wrappers make your rolls. Then let them air dry a bit sitting on a tea towel. Heat your oil up and drop them in. They brown really quick and get very crispy. If you cook them to long they will fall apart.

I love the rice wraps but my kids weren't impressed, they said it was like eating someone's skin.............
hahahaha, I can almost agree with them (but I've ever eaten anyone's skin, so not really sure....)

and yes to Steve: fried egg rolls use wrappers made with flour, not rice.

Back
Top Bottom