"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Are you familiar with the story of Andrew Jackson's

Ship it to the White House!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Master Chef

If you want to use that cheese in pasta, I recomend the following. But first, a word about cheese in sauces.

Cheese is made up of fat, protein, milk solids, and acids. These parts are homogeneous in the cool cheese. Once you start to warm them, they will begin to separate into fat and protein. In a sauce, this means that you will get clumps of cheese, and oil. This separation is called breaking the sauce.

However, velvety smooth cheese sauces are made all the time. You just have to understand that boiling temperatures are not good for your sauce.

Basic cheese sauce. Grate inough cheese to make 2 cups of shredded cheese. Heat 2 cups milk, or cream, until it just starts to bubble. Remove from the heat. Slowly stir in the grated cheese until it melts and is silky smooth. Add a touch of salt, and prepared yellow mustard if desired. Serve over veggies, shaved beef, or whatever you want your cheese sauce on. Or, use it to make mac & cheese.

2nd sauce. Heat 3 tbs. of butter in a pan over medium heat. add a dash or 2 of salt, and 3 tbs. of flour to the pan. Stir and cook until it looks blonde. Slowly pour milk into the pan, while whisking, until a smooth sauce is formed. Remove from heat and add grated cheese, stirring until smooth. Use for mac and cheese, or wherever you want cheese sauce. Oh, add celery and onions and use it to make a really good creamed cheese soup. You might even add chipped beef.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't understand what is so confusing about the Chinese (?) characters.
Maybe the OP is in China and the cheese had to be labeled so people knew what it was. Without knowing where "Kenny" is from, who knows?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
Head Chef

If Kenny frequents an Ethnic store, non-English labels abound.

That hunk of cheese was a little over $7 USD, which doesn't seem an outrageous price to pay.

I'd eat the majority of it out-of-hand or with an apple. I'd dice some up and toss it into an omlette / fritatta as well.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Kenny is in Hong Kong
Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
Wine Guy

I agree with Andy. The package even says it was packed by "Quality Farm Group" of Hong Kong.

Also, it indicates that the weight is 159.6 grams or 5.6 ounces. The price, at 45.20 in Hong Kong dollars, would be the equivalent of $5.83 USD.

That puts this cheese at around $16.66 a pound. I would say that's pretty pricey.

Oh, and as for what to make with it, Mac & Cheese would be my vote, although it would be a very expensive meal. I guess I would probably just enjoy it as a snack - one tiny piece at a time.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
If Kenny frequents an Ethnic store, non-English labels abound.

That hunk of cheese was a little over $7 USD, which doesn't seem an outrageous price to pay.

I'd eat the majority of it out-of-hand or with an apple. I'd dice some up and toss it into an omlette / fritatta as well.
We now know Kenny is in Hong Kong but that wasn't clear in his first post in this thread which is why I thought the price was in dollars and that it was odd for goods bought in the USA to have Chinese labelling.

Tags
cheese, how to