"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to use this cube of cheddar cheese?

hi i've got a cube of this solid hard cheddar cheese and some raw spaghetti. I am new to cooking. I've tried cooking the spaghetti and then put the untreated cheese on top on the cooked spaghetti and add some salt to that, but it does'nt really taste good. Is there any simple method of making a better plate of spaghetti? I don't want to waste this expensive cheddar cheese and the cheese will expire very soon.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'd be slicing the cheese and have some hard salami and crackers. If you want to use it with spaghetti, add some butter to the hot noodles along with some garlic then grate some of the cheddar on top and toss it all together.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Turn it into mac and cheese. Start cooking the spaghetti, melt some butter, add milk to it, warm gently, then add the cheese in slices or shredded to melt. Stir in the spaghetti when it's done.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Head Chef

First of all, cheese doesn't really expire. If a little mold grows on the outside, just cut it off and use the rest. I use cheddar that way that's grown a bit of mold all the time (did it just a couple of days ago for a salami and cheese and jalapeno sandwich). Cut away the mold and what's inside is just fine. Cheese was invented to be a way of preserving milk or cream.

I'd use it for mac and cheese, or make a cheese sauce for broccoli or cauliflower, to put on potatoes, or any other cheesy recipe. Just heat up a cup of milk or cream and melt grated cheese in it until it's a consistency that you like - a little salt and pepper and it works on a lot of things.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Sous Chef

If you are going for the simple stuff, next time (if you didn't grate the cheese), grate it. Then after you've drained the spaghetti/pasta, stir in some butter, salt and pepper, maybe some garlic and add the grated cheese. Dry spaghetti with "untreated" cheese on top doesn't sound to tasty to me. There 100s, probably 1,000s of ways to make spaghetti/pasta/noodles full of flavor.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
Head Chef

I agree with Jabbur, that's eatin' cheese. Good salami, or ham. Crackers, or toast points.

I use similar cheddars for panini style sandwiches. Either with or without ham. My panini press is a cast iron griddle with a skillet on top.

Is that Hong Kong dollars? How much per pound is that cheese?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
Master Chef

I was wondering the same thing as bigjim. My first thought was, that is some expensive cheese! :-)

I'd agree with jabbur and bigjim - I'd slice up that beauty and put it on a tray with crackers, salami, fruit, etc., let the cheese be the star and invite some friends over.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I don't think that price is in US currency. I would also be suspect of the quality if those are Chinese characters on the packaging.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Executive Chef

If it's good English farmhouse cheddar don't mess it about:-

-Welsh rarebit (ignore the reference to Lancashire cheese in the following recipe and use the Cheddar. How to cook perfect welsh rarebit | Life and style | The Guardian

-Cheese and pickle sandwiches using very good home-made or artisan bead

-A chunk of Cheddar with an apple for dessert

-Apple pie with cheese - either baked in the pie or eaten with it.

-Cheese and onion pie
BBC - Food - Recipes : My mother?s cheese and onion pie (Again use cheddar in place of the Lancashire cheese).
Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Arrggghhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
hi i've got a cube of this solid hard cheddar cheese and some raw spaghetti. I am new to cooking. I've tried cooking the spaghetti and then put the untreated cheese on top on the cooked spaghetti and add some salt to that, but it does'nt really taste good. Is there any simple method of making a better plate of spaghetti? I don't want to waste this expensive cheddar cheese and the cheese will expire very soon.

I couldn't see the photo before. It isn't English Cheddar. It purports to be New Zealand (NZ) Cheddar but I don't understand why it has Chinese (?) characters on the packaging.

It may be very nice cheese but it won't be spectacular.

Where are you, Kenny?

You're right spaghetti with grated cheese on it isn't very inspiring.

Tags
cheese, how to