How to use Tomato Jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

her_name_is_ed

Assistant Cook
My husband and I were intrigued by a bottle of tomato "jam" we saw at a loca bakery. They make it onsite and since we love everything else they make, we thought why not?

Well, there was a good reason. It was gross. :-p

And now we have the whole bottle and no idea what we should do with it. I'd rather not have to throw it away, but I have no idea what else to do with it.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Well, if it's that gross I wouldn't want to cook with it and take a chance on ruining an otherwise potentially good meal. You could:

1. Leave it in the refrigerator to take up space
2. Display it on your mantle or coffee table as a conversation piece
3. Use it as a door stop
4. Could be a unique paperweight
5. Give it as a gift to someone you really don't like

All seriousness aside ... if it's just gross because it is a too sweet tomato and sugar thing, maybe it could be used in something that would use tomatoes and sugar? First thoughts would be in a BBQ sauce, maybe as a base for a piquant sauce to go on meatloaf, or something like that.

It's an interesting problem.

Don't let that turn you against all tomato jam. I tasted some at a friend's house that were delicious! It had spices, lemon juice and zest in it...wish had the recipe, but it was a gift to her by a former co-worker.

I second the idea to use it in a sauce, like with li'l smokies or meatballs.

When making stew add some to the pot. I make all kind of jams, never heard of tomato though, interesting.

I made a Tomato Marmalade last year for a demo I did at a Tomato Festival. I used orange rind and juice in it and lemon juice. It was really delicious.

For repurposing your objectionable jam, tho, It might work to combine with equal parts of bottled chili sauce as a sauce for cocktail weenies or meatballs. My mom used to do that with grape jelly....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom