"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to eat just the cake and leave any fondant on the plate. Now I won't even eat the cake. If that is all you have to offer me, then keep it please. I have yet to taste a decent wedding cake. They usually have no flavor. I would love to be able to rave about any wedding cake I had.

My daughter served for her wedding a slice of pound cake, some strawberry juice to moisten the cake, some strawberries, a scoop of ice cream, repeat and top with whipped cream. A big hit. The presentation of the plate was beautiful. The wedding cake was cut up and sent home in little boxes for each guest. To this day, the family calls it the wedding dessert.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

The irony of my situation is I have made dozens of wedding cakes and in two marriages I didn't have a "real wedding cake".

The first we just had a sheet cake. TB and I did elope (quite a story) in our back yard under an apple tree and my sister, who stood with me brought the most awesome cheesecake to top of our bbq'd steak dinner!

I don't remember much of the sheet cake, but the cheesecake had a smooth creamy layer of caramel over a shortbread crust and large flakes of chocolate in a light and delicious cream cheese filling! Best cheesecake I have ever had.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't recall a cake. I'd have to watch the video. I do remember the carved apples and pears that looked like swans...it was a small luncheon, my two brothers, my parents, the DH and myself.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Head Chef

Ours was a pork pie . Not really a romantic me .

Beautiful photos everyone !
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Our wedding was on a Friday evening in the yard at my grandparent's house in Paw Paw, Michigan. It was a small ceremony with just a few close family and friends. I made the wedding dress, but the cake was made by one of the guests. The silk flowers were done by one of the guests too. All we had to eat was the cake, a small three layer cake with the cutest little couple sitting on the top on a bench kissing. I really don't remember if the cake was good or not, but I know that the top layer that was saved in the freezer was not very good by the time we made it back to Michigan for a visit (I think it was two or three years later). Grandma and Grandpa were insistent on bringing it up from the freezer for us all to have some. We covered it with fresh strawberries, but it didn't taste very good. The strawberries were great!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Master Chef

Very nice photos guys :)

I only had a cake for my first wedding. It was a moist chocolate and hazelnut cake with caramel filling. The frosting was vanilla butter cream. The cake had 3 heart shaped tears decorated with fresh white and red roses and silver leaf. We had two hearts made of port filled glasses on the side for guest to take as they came in. Our wedding was in Winter.
I didn't have a reception or church wedding the second time. We got married in court before going to Botswana. I'm still waiting for the real wedding that was meant to follow lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I have had two ceremonies...and both were a surprise to me. So...no cake. He is the romantic...
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Head Chef

I couldn't tell you a lot about my cake, I would have to go dig out the pictures (35 yrs ago) and look at it to remember. My MIL decided she wanted to take care of that for me. I remember she never asked me what I would like. She was a take charge person whether you wanted her to or not. I figure let her and she would be out of the rest of my business. one thing - it has a fountain in it with 2 gold fish in the bottom. I do remember saying gross- turning around and there she was I then said the cake is pretty an thank you so much- but having a gold fish swimming in the middle of your cake is gross. It was in a clear enclosed plastic thing. Then when it poooped and that was floating around she forgave me!!!.

Tags
cake