"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How was your wedding cake?

I was drooling over Kylies orange cake recipe and it reminded me of my own wedding cake. I thought it might be interesting to learn about others cakes too

My own wedding cake was made by a friend who loved to bake and had never made a large wedding cake. Baking our cake was her gift to us and I still think about that cake all these years later. She "interviewed" us to learn about our favorite flavors and then set to work.

She brought us several 'test' cakes, each one better than the last and each one unrelated in flavor to the last. There was a German chocolate cake (one of my favorites), a black walnut cake (one of his favorites) and an orange spice cake that was amazing. These appeared over the course of several weeks and she took notes about our reactions and comments to each cake. She also NEVER let on about what the final flavor would be.

Finally the day arrived and at the reception we finally got to cut the cake!

It was beautiful and very surprising. Round, 4 tiers, 2 birds on top and covered in toasted coconut. The base of the cake was decorated with ribbons of candied orange peel, chocolate ribbons, candied walnuts and curls and curls of toasted coconut reminiscent of a birds nest. I assumed when I saw it that it would be German chocolate inside but I was wrong.

When we cut into the cake we discovered delicious layers of moist and tangy orange cake separated by thin bands of chocolate ganache and finely chopped black walnuts. The orange cake was infused with shreds or orange peel and each piece was served with a garnish of candied orange peel, candied nuts and a chocolate curl. Heaven!

What kind of cake did you have at your celebration?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Master Chef

All I remember is we ordered our wedding cake from Hansen's here in LA, in 1986. Beyond that I don't remember a thing about the cake.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Stirling had tasted a wedding cake at a friend's wedding and was very impressed, so he wanted our cake to come from that bakery. I didn't care a great deal, because we were also having chocolate ice cream cake for dessert. The cake was delicious, but weird. I don't know what they were thinking at the bakery.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

Your cake sounds just spectacular Janet and the picture is just lovely Taxi !

My first wedding cake in 1963 is a distant memory of a tall white cake with a bride and groom on the top.

Steve and I were married in Santorini Greece without family there. A month later at home and Christmas time, Steve surprised me with a wedding cake to share with the family. It meant the world to me to have the wedding cake to share with them.
He ordered it from a local baker and it was perfect with the look of Santorini Greece!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I have never had a cake, at either of our two weddings.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
At my first wedding we ordered our cake from a very well-respected bakery in Washington, DC, which is where I lived at the time. It was beautiful but a huge disappointment when it came to flavor, texture, etc....and we paid a lot for it.

When Buck and I got married we were on a budget that was beyond slim, so I made our cake. It came from an issue of Country Living magazine and it was delicious.

Then, Glenn and I married a few years ago and I didn't have the time to make our cake so I availed myself of the services of a local "artisan" kitchen which had a very fine reputation. OMIGOSH!! What a great cake! We enjoyed a dense French vanilla cake with raspberry filling and an amazing vanilla butter cream icing. The top layer was saved for our first anniversary, then we've ordered a small one for our anniversary every year since. That's how good the cake was/is. And, of course, the cake had a blue motorcycle on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Katie and Glenn - cutting wedding cake.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	17056  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't really remember the flavor of our cake - I want to say spice cake, but I'm not sure

But I know I wanted to have flowers on top, because we got married in my mom's back yard on the river, and because I felt that the different flowers would represent our families and friends sharing the day with us, rather than the bride and groom ornament that is usually used. Please note how similar my wedding dress is to Princess Kate's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting-wedding-cake-edited.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	17057  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My wedding cake was a large single layer white cake with all white buttercream frosting and white roses. No reception for second wedding. Not even guests. Went, got married, came back home and finished getting ready for the next day, Christmas morning. Come to think of it, we didn't even call anyone to tell them we got married.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Master Chef

We had a yellow/chocolate marble cake. It wasn't anything spectacularly magnificent nor was it awful. It was a cake. My son is getting married this Nov and we tasted several cakes at the recent bridal show we attended. The one bakery had some wonderfully moist, rich cake. The other we tasted was okay but the cake was really coarse. I had a lemon cake with blueberry filling. You could taste the lemon but the blueberry filling had no flavor at all. It was just blue goo. We crossed them off the list although their decorating was awesome. We decided it wasn't worth it to have a pretty cake if it tasted horrible.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Wine Guy

Which wedding, LOL?

Wedding 1 and 2, I don't recall what kind of cake we had. Both had white frosting, and that's about all I remember. I'm sure I didn't have a hand in picking either of them out.

Wedding 3, we "eloped" to Las Vegas. Ok, not really eloped. Long story, but I moved from Las Vegas to Minneapolis a few years earlier where I met the woman I would eventually marry. Since most of my friends lived in Vegas and it's such a big wedding town, we decided to have the wedding there. The wedding itself was a blast and we had a party afterwards but, alas, we had no cake. It was something that neither of us considered important.

Tags
cake