How well do we know where/how our food came to us?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While that video does point out some real problems, it sounds like it is produced by people who believe anything.

I do actually try to get ethically sourced and local food. I have recently started getting a weekly food basket from a place that has green houses on the tops of buildings here in Montreal and in Laval, on a neighbouring island. It's nice to be able to get fresh lettuce in Montreal that hasn't been transported thousands of miles.

While that video does point out some real problems, it sounds like it is produced by people who believe anything.

I do actually try to get ethically sourced and local food. I have recently started getting a weekly food basket from a place that has green houses on the tops of buildings here in Montreal and in Laval, on a neighbouring island. It's nice to be able to get fresh lettuce in Montreal that hasn't been transported thousands of miles.

More reason to do some research. I can't say that they are right, but I can't say that they are wrong.

I do know that greed exists, and it exists in our food supply.

I also know that the almond industry in California has been in the hot seat for the amount of water it uses in a State where water is not in abundance. I've read about it from other sources.

I've also read other accounts of Mexican drug cartels extorting money from avocado growers.

I'm just saying, it's something to look at.

CD

That youtube channel Mashed has tons of videos claiming "The REAL reason why...." (this or that) and "The truth about...." (so and so) :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGvIBxqin_rx3sY9qacQEhQ

I agree that there is greed and unethical practices. :glare:

Like Taxy, I try to buy most veggies from our local farm stand. We now have local ranch raised beef and chicken at the farmer's market, so that's a good thing.

That youtube channel Mashed has tons of videos claiming "The REAL reason why...." (this or that) and "The truth about...." (so and so) :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGvIBxqin_rx3sY9qacQEhQ

I agree that there is greed and unethical practices. :glare:

Like Taxy, I try to buy most veggies from our local farm stand. We now have local ranch raised beef and chicken at the farmer's market, so that's a good thing.

Those "The Truth About..." videos are generally not very controversial. The ones I have watched have been way more complimentary than the titles suggest.

I recently spent around sixty bucks for seven rather wimpy Madagascar vanilla beans. Madagascar has a long history of child labor that is getting better, but is still widespread, according to the US Department of Labor. Child labor is cheap labor -- slightly better than slave labor. I want to know where my sixty bucks went -- and to whom. Before I buy any more, I intend to find out.

CD

“It’s ironic that those who till the soil, cultivate and harvest the fruits, vegetables, and other foods that fill your tables with abundance have nothing left for themselves.” - Cesar Chavez

I was shocked the other day when I saw a two-pound bag of carrots for seventy-seven cents that were imported from Isreal. I wonder how much of that seventy-seven cents actually went to the farmers and how much went to others along the 5,708-mile journey from Isreal to the produce department of my local store.

I know from life's experience where food comes from and have come to realize that some people must think food comes from a 3D printer or some sort of replicator at the back of the store because they have no concept of how it got to the display case in the market or the distance it traveled to get there. It's amazing. Recently a friend described watching a machine picking grapes, in the middle of the night, and was amazed that actual people where on top of the thing sorting leaves and branches from the grapes and commented "no wonder a bottle of wine costs so much". I told her that's only part of it, some pick by hand.
About the almonds in California. I'm a bit north of most of the almond orchards, but they do require lots of water. So do cherries, walnuts, peaches, apricots, grapes, even alfalfa, rice and oats. Almonds are popular now with probably a million acres being irrigated now. That many acres takes a lot of water.

Back
Top Bottom