How well do you like your steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rare to medium rare.

If I'm cooking steak myself, I do "rare"; but always order "medium rare" if in a restaurant due to having received far too many "rare"-ordered steaks that arrived literally raw, ice cold, or even frozen in the center.

I used to like my steak grilled or done.. well, even charred on the outside. Then, I had a very serious and 'death defying' kind of health issue, and after survival, I have completely changed by steak preferences! I like the steak well seared on the outside from a very hot fire, but I like the inside bloody pink/red. Can't say why or how that came about.. but it did.

The way I used to like it now seems totally gross and I will not eat it that way.

Trouble with a meat thermometer in a steak??

A trick I learned years ago...
Make a fist...thumb over the outside of the first finger..

Feel the web, between the base of the thumb and the knuckle of the first finger.
Press the steak with the same pressure as you press your hand.

Don't clinch the fist Soft.. If steak feels the same... Rare
Clinch fist firmly...If steak feels the same Medium
Clinch fist tight ...If steak feels the same Well Done

This will take some practice as each individual "feels" are different.

Prefer mine rare to medium-rare. Actually, just cook it until there's a little "moo" left. This might be because my birth mother cooked steaks until you cold shingle a roof with them. A real waste of good beef. Sadly my father liked his steak rare and only had them that way when he ate out.

Actually, I just want to thank the several chefs who posted reminders that one should let a cooked steak rest - to let the juices settle where they belong. If you cut it open too soon, the flavor just runs out.

I always remember this when cooking any fowl, but sometimes my juices get flowing and I just *have to* cut that steak to have a bite. :ROFLMAO:

Just wondering how well everyone here likes their steak?

I like mine medium or medium well-done.:mrgreen:

I like my red meat (beef or any other), rare ~ med. rare. As long as the center is warm, I am usually happy. Even better if the exterior has a serious mailiard (sp?) affect going :chef:

Bob

You can slather some soft butter on top and stick the steak high in your oven near the broiler and broild for a very short time. Quickly remove, let sit for a minute and "voilá" - crust on your steak!

How I like my steak...

I like to eat my steak medium. I think that with medium-well it is a little too dry for me, and with medium-rare it is too bloody!

Very rare. A French waiter I knew called it Bleu. The fact is, I like raw beef as well. People keep telling me how bad it is for me, but I'd rather not eat any at all than eat gray meat.

Rare the first day, medium the second. I tend to never finish a steak in one sitting unless it's really small or fillet mignon. It it's rare when I first order it, I can take it home and reheat it without it turning into shoe leather.

Rare to Medium Rare. I just do not like it cold in the middle. The only thing is hamburgers. I do not care how good the meat it, it has to Medium Well to Well. This is strange because I taste the raw meat to check the seasoning. Something I learned from my grandmother. But, we raised our own cattle at that time, so I have stopped doing that.

Back
Top Bottom