Hummus - Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuhzuhzombie!!

Assistant Cook
Hello.

I really like making my own hummus. Problem is, it never tastes exactly how I want it, and definitely never looks it. I really dislike the kind that comes in tubs from the grocery store. I really really love this particular restaurants.

Every time I try to make my own, while it's good, it's not exactly what I want. I'd like something close to the restaurants.

Their hummus doesn't have any garlic in it, or very little at least. It's a grayish color, where as my hummus always turns out to be an orangish color. Their hummus is very creamy, with a little tang to it.

My main issue is the color. I'm thinking of adding yogurt to mine, as I've seen a few recipes that require it. I currently use Peanut Butter because the only place I've found Tahini wants 7 bucks for a very small jar of it.

Do you think a bit of fresh rosemary would go well in some hummus?

I suppose this thread could double as a hummus recipe thread as well since you fellas and ladies may not be able to help me with my vague details.

Thanks!

EDIT

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I venture to guess that you hummus is orange because of the peanut butter. Tahini is expensive but lasts a long time and is worth the investment most grocery stores are now carrying it in the ethnic food dept.. Try adding lemon juice I love the taste of it in my hummus as for a recipe I just use 1 can of chickpeas, a couple of cloves of garlic, 1/3 C tahini and juice of one lemon in the food processor add olive oil to desired consistency.
Enjoy, C

Nah. I've made it without PB&J and with Tahini before, and it still has a bit of an orange/yellow color to it.

Well, Chicks told you how to make hummus like all of the middle eastern restaurants around here make it. It definately has a tan color to it.

If what you are eating that you think is hummus is sort of gray - it could be babaganush - similar but made with roasted eggplant.

Last edited:
Last time I made it was about a week ago. One can of chickpeas, two cloves of garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, about a quarter cup of chickpea water, and a spoonful of peanut butter.

The thing that makes hummus come out right is the olive oil. Make sure that the oil you use has the flavor you really like, whether that's fruity or light. I go for a solid taste but lighter on the fruitiness. Try one with a slight peppery flavor.

Back
Top Bottom