"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Senior Cook

The worst part is that I had doubled the recipe. I have practically used the whole jar of tahini, lol!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

There has got to be something you can turn it into. What I am not sure, but maybe someone will have an idea.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's my recipe. We love it. I usually don't even use tahini, since it's so expensive and I don't have any other recipes that use it.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, canned -- reserve liquid
1/2 cup roasted red peppers -- diced
3 tablespoons tahini (optional)
2 tablespoons lemon juice -- freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic -- halved
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne -- or to taste
1 teaspoon salt -- or to taste

Process beans, red peppers, tahini, lemon juice, oil, garlic, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and salt in food processor until smooth. If mixture seems too thick, blend in 1 to 2 tbsp. reserved liquid or water to create desired consistency. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, to let flavors mingle.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Thanks for the recipe Gotgarlic, I'll give it one more try with less tahini, lol.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I would highly recommend buying a small amount in the store first before your next attempt so you know what it tastes like and if you even want to bother trying to make it. This way you will have a baseline to know what flavor to shoot for. Otherwise it is kind of like telling someone who has never seen the ocean to paint a picture of it.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

As others indicated there is a lot more tahini than you need in it and tahini is super strong stuff.

If you want to tame it down and not throw the entire thing out you can do the following.

Take about a cup of what you made and stir it with a cup of yogurt. Add some freshly roasted cumin powder to it. Put in juice of half a lime, lots of fresh parsley and you can use it as a dipping sauce or even in pita sandwiches. The yogurt will help mellow it down and it will still give it a nice taste.

If you can get Greek or Middle eastern yogurt it would be great because it's less sour and more thick and creamy so the texture will be great.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I would highly recommend buying a small amount in the store first before your next attempt so you know what it tastes like and if you even want to bother trying to make it. This way you will have a baseline to know what flavor to shoot for. Otherwise it is kind of like telling someone who has never seen the ocean to paint a picture of it.
Makes sense, thanks for the tip. I will also buy several other dip sauces first before making them myself...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
Senior Cook

The RRBP recipe above looks to have the correct proportions. I think it was too much lemon juice also. I use 1 heaping tbls of tahini. I find that it has a very close taste and texture to Roux, and that taste awefull on it's own. We love garlic, and I don't think I would have used 3 cloves. There was a restaurant that we went to years ago in Burbank, CA. They had a dip that was basically pureed garlic. My wife and our friend loved the stuff, I could not handle it. It was nothing compared to what those two smelled like the next day when we were out at the Farmer’s Market.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
As others indicated there is a lot more tahini than you need in it and tahini is super strong stuff.

If you want to tame it down and not throw the entire thing out you can do the following.

Take about a cup of what you made and stir it with a cup of yogurt. Add some freshly roasted cumin powder to it. Put in juice of half a lime, lots of fresh parsley and you can use it as a dipping sauce or even in pita sandwiches. The yogurt will help mellow it down and it will still give it a nice taste.

If you can get Greek or Middle eastern yogurt it would be great because it's less sour and more thick and creamy so the texture will be great.
Thanks for the tip, my mother has already added some sort of syrup to it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
Master Chef

One little request? Respectfully, next time around, I'd think a bit first before posting a title like "Hummus Is Disgusting". What if you had made it absolutely correctly, but just didn't like it yourself? That wouldn't make it "disgusting" to those of us who do like it.

I do not like, nor will I ever like, calves liver. But I'd never dream of coming on here & say it's disgusting.