Hummus is disgusting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that's true, but no matter how big your can of chickpeas is, the amount of tahini specified in the recipe is insane. She is a very nice person so I forgive her.
My guess is they are assuming everyone will use a standard size.

Whats interesting is that the comments on that site all say how delicious that recipe is.
My guess is they're all using the industrial coffee can size of beans. :LOL:

Okay, even though your hummus didn't turn out so well, you inspired me to make some today and it rocked. I took the recipe I posted earlier and added roasted garlic instead of regular and green onions. I did have to add an extra half of can of chickpeas because the tahini was too strong. It was really good.

Try cutting down the tahini to a couple of Tbsp's, use extra virgin olive oil instead of water and try roasting the garlic first for a much sweeter, milder taste :eek:)

Okay, even though your hummus didn't turn out so well, you inspired me to make some today and it rocked. I took the recipe I posted earlier and added roasted garlic instead of regular and green onions. I did have to add an extra half of can of chickpeas because the tahini was too strong. It was really good.
I'm glad to hear that your hummus turned out great.
Try cutting down the tahini to a couple of Tbsp's, use extra virgin olive oil instead of water and try roasting the garlic first for a much sweeter, milder taste :eek:)
Thanks Glorie, those are great tips. I love extra virgin olive oil in everything, so I will definitely add some next time.

BTW, what about the consistency of hummus. I assume that it shouldn't be too thick but not runny either?

Here are two pictures of my hummus. You'll see it hangs on to the knife and the cracker stands up in the mixture. Hope this helps.

img_787443_0_9448a4305e1efcaa72c8a3d6c3e6223e.jpg

img_787443_1_d22a3ef0c66bc2a6a47639c668fef8a7.jpg

Yes, strong chickpea, slight sesame (tahini) taste, hint of garlic and whatever else you decide to add. I know you are in the Netherlands so I don't know if chickpeas have water in the cans, but if they do, reserve it to add to the hummus. Here's exactly what I did.

Set up food processor
Drain water off of one 12 ounce can of chickpeas and set water aside
Put chickpeas in food processor
add about 1/3 of the water from the chickpeas
Chop with food processor
Add two spoonfuls of tahini paste
Blend again
Add more juice from the can, another half a can of chickpeas (too strong tahini with the spoonfuls I used) and juice as necessary plus three squirts of lemon juice
Add teaspoon of salt
Blend.
Chop three green onions add to mixture
Take 4 cloves of roasted garlic (I had difficulties extracting the garlic from the bulb)
Mix it all up and enjoy.

If you use two cans of chickpeas (ours are like 80 cents each) you can add additional chickpeas as necessary. It's a taste and go thing, as a lot of things are.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom