Hummus is disgusting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Respectfully Breezy, it is just one persons opinion. That is great that you would not come on and say something like that. I never would either. That does not mean that this person should act the same as us.

OK back to disgusting, I mean discussing hummus ;)

I personally don't care for "plain" hummus but could really pic out on roasted red pepper hummus. IMO, the peppers give it just a hint of sweetness and depth of flavor missing from "plain". I'd definitely try GotGarlic's recipe and agree with others to try ready made first.

Well, that's a lot more tahini per can of chickpeas than I usually use. I don't want to call it "wrong," but yeah, I can see where it would be overwhelming. The recipe I usually use is posted on my website (www.fearlesskitchen.com); I think the original came from Cliff Wright. It usually goes over pretty well.

I wouldn't recommend omitting the tahini completely, but it can be kind of overwhelming.

I had hummus for the first time, I made it myself and I seriously think it's disgusting. I have no idea why people like it so much. No hummus for me ever again, lol.. What a huge disappointment....

I made it with the following ingredients:

1 can chickpeas
3 garlic cloves (smashed with salt)
1 1/2 lemon juice
3/4 cup tahini
2 tsp cumin
100 ml water
salt

I think the tahini flavor was overwhelming. Maybe I used too much..

Hi!

I'm sorry you didn't like your hummus! I love the stuff, but, since I'm lebanese, I kinda grew up on it. If it helps, here's my recipe. The amount of tahini in yours definitely seems off. And, make sure that you rinse off the chickpeas. Otherwise, your hummus can have a bit of an off taste. And, adjust the amount of garlic for your personal preference.

2 cans chick peas, rinsed and drained
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1 ⅛- 1 ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tp salt.

Stick it all in a good blender and let 'er rip!

BTW, hummus is great with toasted pita chips.

Cut up the pita into wedges. Lay out on a baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with
olive oil and lightly salt. Toast in 375 degrees oven for about 12-15 minutes or until crisp.

Good luck!

I don't think I would have ever tasted hummus if I hadn't had it at a Greek restaurant first. They served it with pita triangles and some excellent EVOO to pour over the hummus (just a little). I really liked it.
When I tried to fix it at home, it wasn't as good as theirs. :(

It is sort of different from anything most Americans are used to, and I suppose it's something of an acquired taste -- but I love it, as do my grandkids. It is a dip, not something most people would eat alone with a fork or spoon.

Argamemnon, there are several recent thread discussing hummus and various recipes for it. I will go and find the links for you. I also have one of my own. Recently I had a bunch of cooked lentils that I didn't know what to do with so I googled and found a recipe for lentil hummus. I have also made black bean hummus. Now the purists will say this isn't hummus because it isn't chickpeas, but whatever you call it, I call it delicious!

Here are the links:

Hummus Help
I'm on a Hummus Kick
Can I Freeze Hummus?

I know there is another very recent one, but I can't find it right now.

I agree that the amount of garlic and tahini should be small in comparison to the chickpeas. And you can flavour it as well, as noted in these threads.

I hope your next experience is better than your first. It is a wonderful and healthy snack!

One little request? Respectfully, next time around, I'd think a bit first before posting a title like "Hummus Is Disgusting". What if you had made it absolutely correctly, but just didn't like it yourself? That wouldn't make it "disgusting" to those of us who do like it.

I do not like, nor will I ever like, calves liver. But I'd never dream of coming on here & say it's disgusting.
One could also choose not to take everything so seriously; life is much more fun that way ;-)
I do not like, nor will I ever like, calves liver. But I'd never dream of coming on here & say it's disgusting.
I love calves liver! :D

I had hummus for the first time, I made it myself and I seriously think it's disgusting. I have no idea why people like it so much. No hummus for me ever again, lol.. What a huge disappointment....

I made it with the following ingredients:

1 can chickpeas
3 garlic cloves (smashed with salt)
1 1/2 lemon juice
3/4 cup tahini
2 tsp cumin
100 ml water
salt

I think the tahini flavor was overwhelming. Maybe I used too much..

Depending on the size of the can of chickpeas that's either too much tahini or TOO MUCH tahini. I imagine it would have been unpleasant if you were expecting it to taste like store-bought.

Was that really from a recipe?

Depending on the size of the can of chickpeas that's either too much tahini or TOO MUCH tahini. I imagine it would have been unpleasant if you were expecting it to taste like store-bought.

Was that really from a recipe?
Yes, it was from this site: Binnur's Turkish Cookbook: Hummus

You are right, it's TOO MUCH tahini :LOL:

Also, my can of chickpeas was very small, which made it even worse; it could not have been more disastrous :-p

This is mine. You definitely used too much tahini paste.

1 12-oz can garbanzo beans
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp tahini sauce (sesame paste)
juice of 1 small lemon
½ tsp salt

I blend it up in the food processor.

Here are the links:

Hummus Help
I'm on a Hummus Kick
Can I Freeze Hummus?

I know there is another very recent one, but I can't find it right now.

I agree that the amount of garlic and tahini should be small in comparison to the chickpeas. And you can flavour it as well, as noted in these threads.

I hope your next experience is better than your first. It is a wonderful and healthy snack!
Thanks for the links LPBeier!

Respectfully Breezy, it is just one persons opinion. That is great that you would not come on and say something like that. I never would either. That does not mean that this person should act the same as us.

OK back to disgusting, I mean discussing hummus ;)
Ok, I'll rephrase; my hummus was disgusting. I thought I made it correctly, and just couldn't imagine anyone liking the hummus I made.
That's why I called it disgusting, I'm sure most of you would agree if you tasted it! :-p

Are we friends now?

Yes, it was from this site: Binnur's Turkish Cookbook: Hummus

You are right, it's TOO MUCH tahini :LOL:

Also, my can of chickpeas was very small, which made it even worse; it could not have been more disastrous :-p
That's part of the problem with the recipe this person posted (the blog, not you) they didn't specify how big a can of chickpeas to use. Since things like that vary, they really should have put a size.

That's part of the problem with the recipe this person posted (the blog, not you) they didn't specify how big a can of chickpeas to use. Since things like that vary, they really should have put a size.
Yes, that's true, but no matter how big your can of chickpeas is, the amount of tahini specified in the recipe is insane. She is a very nice person so I forgive her.

Whats interesting is that the comments on that site all say how delicious that recipe is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom