Hurricane Irene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another tip:

Fill large ziplock bags with water and fill your freezer with as many as it will hold. Do it now, before you lose power and to give them a chance to freeze so you may not lose anything already frozen.

just returned from my final supply run with two ten lb. bags of ice. sometimes the most simple ideas are the best and most useful.:)no, selkie, i'm not suggesting you are simple.:)supermarket is crowded, crawling with shoppers--just like snow storm shopping last winter but without the snow shovels or kitty litter. clouds are a dark, gray menacing mass, scudding across the horizon. the first large raindrops are smacking the pavement just as i am a few safe blocks from home. i am as ready as i can make myself for irene. be safe, everyone.

Lost power for a couple of hours already. I hope it stays on for the rest of the storm.

Tree on the roof here...it didn't break through, just landed on it..we're all okay, but the dogs are still shaken up. Between the earthquake, the storm and sensing out anxiety, the falling tree was just a bit much. All 4 are laying here in the family room watching us and each other. In a way it is very cute and comforting....

Personally doing okay but unfortunately here in town a young boy (9 yo) lost his life when a tree broke in half and came through the roof into his 2nd story bedroom straight through to the 1st floor. It took workers 2 hours to find him under the tree.

Dave, I am glad nothing more serious has happened. Are you out of danger yet? Thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Jabbur, my prayers are with the family of that young boy and everyone in your area. Be safe.

Dave, I am glad nothing more serious has happened. Are you out of danger yet? Thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Jabbur, my prayers are with the family of that young boy and everyone in your area. Be safe.

loss of life during a natural disaster takes on a whole new meaning and gravity when it happens in your own neighborhood, close to home. so sorry, jabbur.

Thanks Laurie. No we still have the worst to come. We are not going to be getting the main event until between 2 and 3 AM Sunday morning. It is supposed to start intensifying around 8 and keep going until the eye passes by in the early morning hours.

jabbur said:
Personally doing okay but unfortunately here in town a young boy (9 yo) lost his life when a tree broke in half and came through the roof into his 2nd story bedroom straight through to the 1st floor. It took workers 2 hours to find him under the tree.

Sad, how horrible! A young innocent.

Talked to niece in Jersey, she and her kids have evacuated and are staying with her parents.

Thoughts and prayers, guys!

Last edited:
It's still blowing pretty hard here. It's really been an all day event! DH had put a new mailbox on the post but hadn't nailed it down. It blew off into the yard. Have some small limbs down in the yard. No flooding. So far we have had power all day. A couple of times in blinked off and on but not completely out. The WalMart my son works at was open today and he had to go in. He had some pretty good pics of the store shelves bare! Around 2pm the store lost power and their generator kicked in. He finally got to come home around 4pm. We were supposed to go to dinner with his girlfriend's parents then to the movies to see the Harry Potter installment. Nobody's going anywhere!

Irene

Calling all East-Coasters... Please let us know how you're getting on with the effects (and after-effects) of Irene. Are you and your families safe?

We're all thinking of you and keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

what really blew my mind today--they said on the news that hurricane irene is the size of europe! wow, that is massive! up until now, my mind pictured all hurricanes as brightly colored swirls on the ocean. from nw on i will be seeing europe shaped hurricanes instead.... :)

Checking in.. we made it through...will post more once the sun is up and I can see better outside...

Good luck with the tree. Was it just a limb or the whole tree? What kind? I'm just wondering if the cut pieces could be burned in a fireplace of some sort.

Good luck with the tree. Was it just a limb or the whole tree? What kind? I'm just wondering if the cut pieces could be burned in a fireplace of some sort.

It is a whole tree, a tulip poplar. I'm not sure what it can be used for besides firewood once it dries out.

we are thankful, we are relieved, we are standing on solid ground once again, here in virginia. we have survived an earthquake and a massive hurricane all in the space of five very long/short days in time. so good to be alive and whole....

Back
Top Bottom