Hurricane Irene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a whole tree, a tulip poplar. I'm not sure what it can be used for besides firewood once it dries out.

If you know any wood workers that do lathe work it would be great for them or to make a souvenir of Irene for yourself. Google Tulip Poplar Turnings for a variety of images.

The attached pic shows Irene's History so far.

Quite an impressive storm. She's held "Hurricane Status" for a long trip.

With her size, it's a very good thing she never reached Cat4 or 5.

Attachments

• HurricanIrene2011-HistoryAsOf0900-8-28-2011.jpg
    HurricanIrene2011-HistoryAsOf0900-8-28-2011.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 190
I've only seen a small post in our local newspaper about Hurricane Irene. Glad you are all ok! :) Hope no one had any serious damage. Sorry to hear about those who did get some damage to there homes but glad no one seems to have gotten hurt!

My thoughts and prayers are still with all of you. I will be watching the news and checking in here for more reports.

And GB, thank you for that gem. Very appropriate.

Our power didn't go out and the wind wasn't to bad. It died down to about 20 MPH +-. About 500,000 people have no power. We aren't out of the woods yet. We are in the eye and the flood water is getting higher. WE are in a bad place in that respect - The Meadows - we have Hackensack, Passaic Rivers AND MANY creeks including Berry Creek. It is about a foot till it comes in my house. We have planks (railroad ties), garbage cans, all sort of debris floating down my street. Hopefully the tail/backside won't be to bad but with the new moon tides our house may flood.

Last edited:
Ms M, please keep us posted and stay safe. {{{{{{{{{{msmofet}}}}}}}}}}
Thank you LP XOXOXOXOX

The wind is kicking up slightly and starting to rain again. I am so glad the 2 approx 100 foot trees are gone from my yard. About 3 years ago in a mild rain storm with gusts of about 10 MPH one of them just slowly tipped over (came out of the ground at the roots) and gently rested on my neighbors house. Thank God the wind had eased off at the time. The park came right over and cut it up and removed it. The next week they took the other one down. The house is a lot hotter without the shade trees but I don't have to worry about huge branches or trees falling on us.

The FEMA guy just said the storm is exiting NJ and heading out to Long Island. So we may be out of it sooner than expected. Stay safe all in that direction.

Last edited:
Hurricane Cookies

Otherwise known as Cranberry Orange Spirals:

cranorngspirals-e.jpg

Cookies:
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract

Filling:
2/3 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup orange marmalade

Cookies:
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes (mixer at medium speed). Add egg and beat well. Beat in orange zest and vanilla. Scrape down sides of bowl. On low speed or with wooden spoon, gradually add flour mixture, beating until just blended.

Shape the dough into a flat rectangle. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.

Using confectioner's sugar or flour, lightly dust a piece of parchment paper and rolling pin. Unwrap chilled dough and place on parchment, roll into a 12x9 inch rectangle of uniform thickness.

Filling:
In a bowl, combine the cranberries, pecans and orange marmalade until well blended. Spread cranberry mixture evenly over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Starting with long edge, tightly roll up dough jelly-roll style to form a log. Tightly wrap in parchment paper and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Baking:
Preheat oven to 375 F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the chilled dough log and using a sharp knife, cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place on prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges start to turn lightly golden (mine were 9 minutes). Immediately slide parchment paper onto a cooling rack. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes before removing from the parchment and placing directly on cooling rack.

Recipe from:
400 Sensational Cookies by Linda Amendt

Do you have any tropical storm cookies? Irene got downgraded for MA.

Yer crackin me up!

Instructions for downgrading Hurricane Cookies to Tropical Storm Cookies:

1. Place cookies on counter top.

2. Put bottom of cup saucer on each cookie and press downward until cookie smashes.

3. If Tropical depression cookies are desired, spin saucer 10 times.

Yer a character Andy! :LOL:

Yer crackin me up!

Instructions for downgrading Hurricane Cookies to Tropical Storm Cookies:

1. Place cookies on counter top.

2. Put bottom of cup saucer on each cookie and press downward until cookie smashes.

3. If Tropical depression cookies are desired, spin saucer 10 times.

Yer a character Andy! :LOL:

I'm in a tropical depression because I don't have any of those cookies. They look fantastic!

I copied the recipe, I think you could have quite a few variations on the filling!

I hope all my friends in U.S.A. are fine and safe. If I may suggest, you can all come and visit Egypt now. We have a wonderful sunny weather nowadays. You are all welcomed.

Our power has been out for over 2 hours.

WOW. We lucked out. I hope you get power soon.

I hope all my friends in U.S.A. are fine and safe. If I may suggest, you can all come and visit Egypt now. We have a wonderful sunny weather nowadays. You are all welcomed.
Thank you for the well wishes. The sun is out here and Irene is on her way through NE. I would love to see the sphinx and the pyramids, the upper and lower nile and all the beautiful monuments, tombs etc. It has always been one of my dreams but I probably will never have the money to do so. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom