Hurricane Irene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been watching News 12 and parts of New Jersey is in bad shape. Down the shore is not doing so good. The Belmar beaches are on the roads a lot of damage just before the holiday. The shore towns are really going to be hit hard this holiday. People are stuck in a Holiday Inn on Rt 46 in Parsippany by Harold's and LongHorn, the whole first floor is under water. 60 People have been stranded there since saturday night with no power, food or water/plumbing. Lots of flooding still. Rt 17 closed by Hasbrouck Heights due to flooding. Still lots of people without water or power. A house blew up in Pompton ( Plains or Lakes not sure) due to gas leak. I think we have had 3-4 deaths due to Irene in New Jersey. New Jersey took a nice beating.

I must say we were VERY LUCKY to ONLY have our road flood and nothing very serious here in my neighborhood. We will be going out later so I will try to remember to take the camera.

BUT it is a BEAUTIFUL day!! 60 degrees and beautiful weather for the next 7 days.

We're far enough inland that the big concerns were power-outages and possibly flooding since we're in a low-lying area. Because the baby's due any time now we were already stocked up on low-maintenance food & supplies. Back in WA we went backpacking from time to time, so we're pretty prepared for loss of power with our camping gear. We already had a couple cases of water and DH picked up another few at Costco on Friday, so all-in-all, we were pretty well prepared.
I'm happy to report that we were over-prepared. We didn't even lose power. As we drove to church Sunday morning, we saw 2 traffic lights out and a few downed branches. We've had much worse summer thunderstorms. At the worst of it we had the equivalent of WA winter rains, sustained winds of nothing and gusts of up to "shake your windows." My friends 30-minutes east of here, where I work & most of my coworkers live, weren't quite as lucky, but still pretty lucky. A lot of people without power yesterday and some flooded basements, but nothing life-threatening.
I'm glad to hear that most people made it through without any major damage! Still praying for those expecting more flooding today and those still dealing with the cleanup, but most of my prayers are of gratitude at this point. Everyone at church seemed to be pretty disappointed that I didn't end up with a storm baby. :)

Power Outage

So Due to lovely Irene, I have been without power for over 24 hours.. I think at least 28 hours, since I woke up with no power... I still have no power.. sadly..

I have turned up my fridge to the coolest setting.. and have opened my fridge twice and quickly closing it. So what's in my fridge is safe and not safe? how does one determine it?

I am hoping to have power tonight.. but who knows...

I woke up yesterday at 11 AM with no power... just to give a perspective

Well now.....Irene has come and gone. Here at Casa de Hoot, we lost power around 11:00 am Saturday and we got it back around 1:30 this afternoon. Thank the powers that be that we did not suffer significant damage and no one we know was injured. We lost one large limb out of the big ol' pecan tree in front of the house but it fell away from the house. Losing power was a disadvantage only in that we didn't have power to run the well. other than that small difficulty, we fared well. I hope that no one here at DC had any damage or injuries. I reckon we got off lucky especially in light of how bad it might have been.

So Due to lovely Irene, I have been without power for over 24 hours.. I think at least 28 hours, since I woke up with no power... I still have no power.. sadly..

I have turned up my fridge to the coolest setting.. and have opened my fridge twice and quickly closing it. So what's in my fridge is safe and not safe? how does one determine it?

I am hoping to have power tonight.. but who knows...

I woke up yesterday at 11 AM with no power... just to give a perspective

I don't know what is in your fridge so I can only give you generalities. Hoever, the main things you have to worry about are meats (specially raw), dairy (milk, cream, especially). Condiments should be okay. Produce should be okay as well.

Do you have a fridge thermometer? It gives you the save ranges for refrigerating and freezing and if it reads out of those ranges you should be cautious.

Do you have ice packs in a freezer? If there are still really cold, put them around your frozen items and your meat and dairy in the fridge.

I am sure others will pick up on things I have missed.

Well evrywhere we went was flooded, detoured, closed or a parking lot!! We got as far as Little Falls. So I turned around and we stopped at Joe's Crab Shack on Rt 3/Allwood Rd in Clifton. Thats the first time I have been in that mall since they built it in the past 4 years. I liked the NE chowder but not that happy with the pollock fish (I prefer cod or flounder) and chips. Daughter and I shared a caesar salad which was good. I loved the laid back atmosphere and music. But my girl was very upset when they turned on the disco balls and the music was turned up to almost window shattering volume and the wait staff line danced to "Working at the car wash". I will need to find something for dinner. Maybe salad, meatballs and pasta. The sky was a beautiful blue with wispy pure white clouds and cool. It was a nice drive but had to take the long way home around all the floods. Didn't get any pictures.

we've not heard from podnelle45 since the day the hurricane touched land at virginia. he is in the richmond area which was a hard hit area. pod was checking in regularly before then. i know many areas are still without power in our state. i hope we hear from him soon, and that he and his family are alright.

we've not heard from podnelle45 since the day the hurricane touched land at virginia. he is in the richmond area which was a hard hit area. pod was checking in regularly before then. i know many areas are still without power in our state. i hope we hear from him soon, and that he and his family are alright.

Prayers sent his way.

more than a week has passed since podonnel45 last posted here at dc. that's a long time. i hope we hear from him soon. irene caused even more damage and destruction than anyone knew when she hit and lit. people are slow to come out of this one....

Back
Top Bottom