"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Head Chef

Hurricane Irene

I think it is time to start a Irene thread.
After this evenings storm and tornado warnings passed I made my way to buy the EXTRA things needed for the weekend. (And a few others that jumped into my cart). Beer, Ciggs and Water. I plan on making some cold plate items (in the event of power failure, oh yeah, this is LP CITY USA, it will happen) and I plan on making a Banana Cake with White Chocolate Frosting to snack on. My Kindle and Ipod are charged, my windup/batteries operated Radio is handy along with battery operated lamps and camping lantern.

Is every one in Irene's path ready??

Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Executive Chef

All set!

High tides at 6 to 8am and 6 to 8 pm in St. Augustine tomorrow. The storm surge is expected to be about 2 feet above high tide.

That will cause some minor flooding at my house, but nothing that will cause any real problems.

I have a tidal swamp behind my house, so it'll get a little wet tomorrow.

As long as Irene doesn't take a left turn, I'll be fine here.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

We are scheduled for a good hit Sunday afternoon and evening. If Irene goes through Eastern MA, we get 5"-8" of rain. If it goes through Western MA, we get very high winds.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I think it is time to start a Irene thread.
After this evenings storm and tornado warnings passed I made my way to buy the EXTRA things needed for the weekend. (And a few others that jumped into my cart). Beer, Ciggs and Water. I plan on making some cold plate items (in the event of power failure, oh yeah, this is LP CITY USA, it will happen) and I plan on making a Banana Cake with White Chocolate Frosting to snack on. My Kindle and Ipod are charged, my windup/batteries operated Radio is handy along with battery operated lamps and camping lantern.

Is every one in Irene's path ready??
thanks, patty, i'm charging my nook and my dvd player right now. first thing in the morning i'll hit the grocery store, hopefully before the shelves are stripped of bread, milk, toilet paper, etc. like you, i like to treat myself well with good food--sort of a compensation for being cooped up, without power, or whatever. have some fun, and stay safe everyone....
Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by varat View Post
Irene is scaring us over here in Rhode Island honestly... all the water was sold out over at the market today.. .
just get as ready as you can, lay in some good food and drink. forget about irene. she won't stay long. make it a weekend to remember--fondly, with family, with friends. report what you see to dc when you can. take care, varat..
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome to DC Varat.

Josie
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

one natural disaster after another. on my way to the store for storm supplies. i have this feeling i'm a bit late with this. i hope they still have lettuce and tomatoes....
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I hit the market and BJ's last night. People did not seem to be panicking or buying everything in sight. We had some pretty intense thunder and lightning last night. It will be interesting to see what we get this weekend.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Master Chef

We had pictures on the front page of empty shelves at WalMart! DH took the cars out to fill up with gas and there were lines at the pump. I'll be filling up the last car this afternoon, stopping at the bank and picking up some cold cuts. I think I've got everything else. The storm is now tracking a bit east of here but there is still a chance it will roar directly over us. One model has the eye directly on top of my area. We talked about evacuating but I think we will just hunker down. We are in a higher elevation so little chance of flooding in the house. We moved the camper to the street. Propane tanks full for the grill and can use the camper's stove top. Have a gas lantern and many oil lamps in addition to flashlights. Got the laptop and cell phones charging. I think we'll be fine. We survived Isabel in '03.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
We had pictures on the front page of empty shelves at WalMart! DH took the cars out to fill up with gas and there were lines at the pump. I'll be filling up the last car this afternoon, stopping at the bank and picking up some cold cuts. I think I've got everything else. The storm is now tracking a bit east of here but there is still a chance it will roar directly over us. One model has the eye directly on top of my area. We talked about evacuating but I think we will just hunker down. We are in a higher elevation so little chance of flooding in the house. We moved the camper to the street. Propane tanks full for the grill and can use the camper's stove top. Have a gas lantern and many oil lamps in addition to flashlights. Got the laptop and cell phones charging. I think we'll be fine. We survived Isabel in '03.
Cold cuts HAVE gotten expensive!!!