"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-05-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

I am a hopeless cook

I am a hopeless cook and need some advice - if i just slightly cook some sausages, and then chuck them into my slow cooker with potatoe, carrot and onion with some beef stock will it all work out?

Old 08-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't see why it wouldn't.
Just make sure it cooks long enough for the
veggies to get soft.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
Hospitality Queen

So, how did it go? Did the sausages work out? Oh! maybe they're still cooking!
Please let us know how you did, and please - now that you're a member, remeber that you can ask us anything about cooking!
Good luck with your meal! And, welcome to our family!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 AM   #4
Cook

hi,

sorry, but you intend to make sounds horrible, not colour and no real taste. Go to some simple cookbooks and see how they make things. Cooking is real pleasure once one knows how. Sausages are great, but make your own gravy and then put some onions in with it (fried of course). Then do the Veg which is not really so difficult. Have you tried a shepards pie, which is easy too!!

give it a go with a simple cook book it will work wonders

susi
Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 AM   #5
Master Chef

hi, Slice'n'Dice. welcome to discusscooking.
are the sausages smoked or are they fresh? if they're smopked they'd definately be fine, but i haven't any idea about fresh ones.... i'll go look around and see if can find any good info for you.
your meal sounds yummy. i hope you enjoy it!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:52 AM   #6
Master Chef

i didn't find much on cooking raw sausages, but there was one recipe that i though might give you a few pointers on how to go about making your dish:
http://www.melborponsti.com/mel-0014484.html
Old 08-05-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
Senior Cook

<if i just slightly cook some sausages, and then chuck them into my slow cooker with potatoe, carrot and onion with some beef stock will it all work out?>

It will cook, and you'll be able to eat it. The sausages might make it a little fatty, however. Best to use a low-fat meat for slow-cooking. But it will work. Why not add a little chopped celery, a capsicum (red or green), maybe some corn niblets, some beans or peas; maybe some finely diced bacon or ham; a finely chopped chilli for oomph if you like oomph; and a pinch of herbs to add extra flavour? Chives, thyme, parsley, some pepper, rosemary, sage or a bay leaf, maybe. How about a dash of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce?

Herbs turn a meal that could well be ho-hum into WOW!

BTW, nobody is a hopeless cook. In my language, 'hopeless' in this context means either 'inexperienced' or 'downright lazy'. I think you just need a basic recipe book and some practice.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Master Chef

Hey Slice'n'Dice - Welcome to DiscussCooking!

The basic answer to your question is YES. When I make a pot of my "Italian Gravy" I brown the (uncooked) sausages a bit and then, after adding everything else, simmer them for about 3-4 hours on top of the stove. Don't know what kind of sausages you were planning on using ... but if you cook them in a slow cooker for about 6-8 hours they should be just fine.

Of course - then you get into "recipes" - what else you can do with the same basic ingredients. Don't know what kind of sausage you're planning on using ... but if it was a smoked sausage, like Kilbasa, you could also add in a head of cabbage (quartered), maybe a can of diced tomatoes .... maybe a bay leaf, some black peppercorns ...

I'm with Daisy .... there is no such thing as a hopeless cook. You just need a little practice. Heck - even my ex-wife learned how to boil water without burning it!