"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Senior Cook

I am such a wine NON-snob!

Preface by saying I don't drink wine... I cook with it, but I don't like the stuff. I'm weird, yes, I know.

I was at a restaurant a few months back with a group of somewhat snobbish people (friends of friends, never again!). One dude orders a $92 bottle of wine for he and his wife. It comes to the table and (he waited until everyone was watching, of course) he does the fancy "swirl-in-glass, look at it up to the light, smell and taste test." Then, he confidently says for all to hear, "Yes, I like this. Nutty and aromatic, robust yet not too aggressive."

My eyes were rolling into the back of my big bald head! I said (when everyone was listening, of course) to the waiter, "Um... how much is that bottle of wine?" He stated proudly, "$92." I sarcastically replied, "I'm sure it'll be fine."

In my mind I was thinking, "Ya, a little better than the $12 crap he buys when no-one is watching."

My question - I am just being a jerk here or do I just hate pretentious snobs?

RD

Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Executive Chef

If that wine was at the high end of the offerings, I can see it. You have to remember that same bottle is probably 1/3 to 1/2 that price at the wine store. Would be equal to having a beer, draft or not, the price will be much higher than what you could buy it for. It is also standard for the waiter to cork the bottle, pour a small amount into the wine glass and get the approval of the guest. I've always wondered what they would do if the guest said no to it because I have never seen that happen. The only reason I would call the guy a snob is if he only ordered it for himself, his wife and not for the table. Do you know if they offered a corking charge and you could bring your own bottle? We've done that before.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I think some people feel that making a big deal out of wine is "living it up" so to say. They are partaking in an activity that includes more than just drinking it, and if they are going to spend that much on a bottle of grog they want to be getting their money's worth...lol. He's certainly not alone in his approach to wine...I have been known to comment on the taste and smell of a decent bottle, but made sure to do so in the company of people who give a hoot and not at a table full of Alexander Kieth drinkers(which I find myself more often than not).
On the other hand, your buddy could just be a bonafied bone head, that's for you to decide. ..
Old 05-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Wine tasting

That reminds me of the time we had to change planes in Atlanta. We had a few hours to kill, and I found a wine shop that had wine tastings of 3 different wines.
So we sat there and sampled them, and I was commenting on the taste of each one. Kayelle was very impressed until she saw I was reading it off the card next to each glass!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

As Craig said, the process is pretty standard. The guy's announcing to everyone at the table that, "Yes, I like this. Nutty and aromatic, robust yet not too aggressive." is a bit on the A-Hole side of normal.

I'm always a little embarrassed by the process because I'm aware you can come off as a pretentious snob so I keep it as low key as possible. I also don't spend $92. on a bottle.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As Craig said, the process is pretty standard. The guy's announcing to everyone at the table that, "Yes, I like this. Nutty and aromatic, robust yet not too aggressive." is a bit on the A-Hole side of normal.

I'm always a little embarrassed by the process because I'm aware you can come off as a pretentious snob so I keep it as low key as possible. I also don't spend $92. on a bottle.
I'm just a head nod person or "that is fine". The thing with reds is that the flavor and bouquet will change after "breathing" for a while, IMO. So if it is a red and you have never had it before, your initial proclamation may be a tad off base.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Whilst I have a lot of sympathy with the OP, no one has mentioned that one of the reasons for the tasting is to see whether the wine is 'corked' i.e. reacted with a tainted cork. Apart from tasting unpleasant, no one would want to pay for such a wine.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
Preface by saying I don't drink wine... I cook with it, but I don't like the stuff. I'm weird, yes, I know.

I was at a restaurant a few months back with a group of somewhat snobbish people (friends of friends, never again!). One dude orders a $92 bottle of wine for he and his wife. It comes to the table and (he waited until everyone was watching, of course) he does the fancy "swirl-in-glass, look at it up to the light, smell and taste test." Then, he confidently says for all to hear, "Yes, I like this. Nutty and aromatic, robust yet not too aggressive."

My eyes were rolling into the back of my big bald head! I said (when everyone was listening, of course) to the waiter, "Um... how much is that bottle of wine?" He stated proudly, "$92." I sarcastically replied, "I'm sure it'll be fine."

In my mind I was thinking, "Ya, a little better than the $12 crap he buys when no-one is watching."

My question - I am just being a jerk here or do I just hate pretentious snobs?

RD
I'm totally on board with you. I feel the same toward beer snobs. I like to drink my beer, not make a meal out of it.
I will drink Bud Light over any craft beer and prefer it. I don't like the bitter taste.
Guinness IMO is a food not a beverage.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

Perhaps it is a question of developing a finer palate? I remember a time when sliced white bread was fine by me......now it is quite repulsive in its overly soft texture and totally bland in taste.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

I love wine but know nothing about them. Even with a cheap $20 bottle at a restaurant, if prompted by the waiter, I'll do the swirly and the taste test, and won't reject it even if it's bad.....I wouldn't even know what to say....

Tags
wine