"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Sous Chef

It might be time to stop trying that recipe.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

You just cooked it too hot, low and slow intil the chicken is done.
The sugar in catsup, molassas, will burn at high heat. Cover and stir often, it will come out fine. Try it again.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

If you still have one of the burned pans, put 1 1/2 cups of water in the pan, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and bring the solution to a boil. As soon as the solution is boiling, remove the pan from the heat, put a lid on the pan, set it aside for a couple of days or so, then empty the pan and use a plastic scraper like a "Dobie" to remove any of the burnt stuff you can. Repeat the process, and keep repeating it until the pan is clean. It has take me weeks to clean a burnt pan with this process but it has worked for me several times.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMerry View Post
If you still have one of the burned pans, put 1 1/2 cups of water in the pan, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and bring the solution to a boil. As soon as the solution is boiling, remove the pan from the heat, put a lid on the pan, set it aside for a couple of days or so, then empty the pan and use a plastic scraper like a "Dobie" to remove any of the burnt stuff you can. Repeat the process, and keep repeating it until the pan is clean. It has take me weeks to clean a burnt pan with this process but it has worked for me several times.
If you leave the pot to simmer at VERY LOW HEAT, it will speed up the process, especially when trying to get off the last stains.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Head Chef

I fill burnt pans with water, add a couple tablespoons of dishwasher detergent, and simmer for a while. If the pan is not too bad, a few minutes of simmering will do it, but if I go off to play on Facebook while I am cooking, I might simmer for a longer time and let the pan sit overnight before trying to clean.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi MatrixGravity,

With all that sugar and no water, on all but the slightest of heat that tiny bit of liquid is going to caramelize, then carbonize really fast. Usually, I point to cookwear if the recipe is tested well, but here you have to get the pot away from the flame. I would sugest a double-boiler. You can always cobble one together to fit your needs if you have enough pots.

Many times the culprit is an all-steel pot. Never spend a lot of money on a stainless pot if it does not have an aluminum ply. Be especially wary of enamel cookware in these circs. I recommend commercial-grade, 100% aluminum.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Head Chef

I'm with the camp in favor of watching the pot and stirring frequently. This isn't rice - removing the lid during cooking won't hurt it. Lower heat too. A mixture like that should just barely bubble while cooking. It should NOT be boiling, just barely at a simmer.

I also like the slow cooker idea, although that would have to be planned farther ahead because it will definitely take longer to cook. I'd search for similar slow cooker recipes for an idea about cooking times.

By the way, the recipe actually sounds pretty good to me.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Master Chef

Exactly right, Spearmint
Quote:
With all that sugar and no water, on all but the slightest of heat that tiny bit of liquid is going to caramelize, then carbonize really fast.
Even the most experienced cook could mess up that recipe really fast, so don't be too hard on yourself. Just because someone can make a cooking video doesn't mean much if it's flawed with ingredients and/or methods. In the world of cooking video's everybody seems to think they are an expert.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Move to Washington or Colorado. You can burn pot all you want without getting into trouble!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Lol! Craig...."snicker" "snicker". Funny, but probably not that helpful ;-) besides there is an age limit :/.

I am guessing the cookware could be the problem. I would only use something quite heavy to make this recipe, as others have said that combo of ingredients will burn readily. I hesitate to mention (because of the aluminum controversy) I successfully use a heavy cast aluminum Dutch oven for recipes like this. I routinely use it for candy making and sticky things like rice Krispy treats. I will likely be retiring it now as i have purchased a porcelain coated cast iron dutch oven.
All you can do is apologize to your parents, try to clean the pan and "move on", try a different recipe, don't let this discourage you from what can be a life long hobby/passion. Keep your chin up!

Tags
recipe