"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Food Processor - just started using one this summer and I love it. Great for making just about everything.

Extra virgin olive oil is probably my most used ingredient. Can't get enough of it

Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Head Chef

Lots of things for me:
food processor
microplane grater (greatest invention ever!)
digital thermometer
Kitchen Aid stand mixer
Le Crueset dutch oven

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #13
Executive Chef

three items for me first come to mind, the first two I never thought I would own, even actively avoided them.

microwave oven, this appliance transformed my cooking style, enabling me to do batch cooking. Like yesterday, I made 2 gallons of vegetable soup. We will reheat this soup for dinner for many meals and I will freeze some for later meals.

bread machine, my MIL bought me my first one. I used to make all my breads by hand, then I bought all my breads at a whole wheat type bakery. The buying was fun, got me to a college town on a regular basis, had no intention of giving that up. Now the bread machine either bakes off my sandwich bread or kneads all other breads.

and finally, something I had lusted after for many years, a dish washer. Now I freely fill up the miracle machine, sometimes three times a day.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Master Chef

Gosh, I do not know. Really. I have tons of toys in the kitchen, but I kind of had them for a while now and I do not remember how was it with out using them.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
Senior Cook

For me, this is an easy one - good quality, sharp knives. I'm frequently invited to cook in other people's kitchens and usually I don't even ask about equipment and tools on hand. I figure I can make do with whatever is available.

The exception is knives. Almost invariably, the knives are cheap, dull and unsuited for the task. I always bring my own (along with a steel and ceramic sharpener).
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Try having a garbage disposal for about 10 years, then living 3 years without one. We moved into a rent house while in transition to a new/renovated old house. I missed that more than the ice maker that we did not have during that time. When I built my kitchen, I wanted a garbage disposal that could swallow a turkey.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
Head Chef

Immersion blender-so easy, no mess transferring the soup to the regular blender then back again

microwave rice maker-easy, rice doesnt stick to the bottom, dont run out of water, no nee d to constantly stir or constantly watch until it is done.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

..........A Thermapen.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Try having a garbage disposal for about 10 years, then living 3 years without one. We moved into a rent house while in transition to a new/renovated old house. I missed that more than the ice maker that we did not have during that time. When I built my kitchen, I wanted a garbage disposal that could swallow a turkey.
Oh I miss my garbage disposal so much. I have not had one in 5 years and I am dying to get one. It would require getting an electrician to run juice for us though as there is no where to plug one in right now and that is just an expense I can not justify right now.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
Executive Chef

My knives, good pans, the bottles I put together containg my oils and vinegars.