I Can't Believe I Lived Without.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plastic squeeze bottles for oils.

Also got a Waring deep fryer recently and that is a lot of fun too.

Food processor. I used to be so, "if you do it by hand, it shows how much you care" -- but I can care oh so much more when I get pie pastry in 3 seconds or minced anything in five. (lol)

Oh, putting the flour in a giant salt shaker for dusting the board while I'm kneading bread or rolling out pastry -- things go so much smoother, now.

Oh I miss my garbage disposal so much. I have not had one in 5 years and I am dying to get one....

Pretty soon you will not be able to even get one. The water plants are having huge problems with cleaning water, specificaly becasue of garbage disposals. They finally realised that all that food leftovers are nearly impossible to clean. There are already regulations in place, in some places, where a builder is not allowed to install garbage disposal in the new house. Owners though can do what they want, for now. I have been advocating not putting anything into garbage disposal for years.

Real knives. My family never had any kind of real knife - they did all their cooking with steak knives. After I moved away, I went back for a holiday and was asked to prepare something with phyllo dough. My mom handed me a steak knife... yes, a serrated steak knife... I've given her a couple of real knives, but I now bring my own every time I go back just in case.

I too would have to say good quality, sharp knives. I also grew up using only cheap stake knives and I LOVE my 7" Wusthof knife.

I can't live without really good olive oil. And believe it or not I love my "Pampered Chef" spatula and wooden spoons. The spatula is heat proof and I use it for cooking. The spoons don't splint or turn colors. One of the few home party purchases I've ever made that I would do again (except they have lasted so long I don't know if I'll ever have to replace them).

This is soooo hard - I can't choose just one. But I have to say the things I really depend on/delight in/ wouldn't give up without a fight are:
my garbage disposal
microwave
high-efficiency vent hood
good quality tri-ply ss cookware
and medium quality, but very sharp, knives!

Just an observation. I'm fascinated at how many people are garbage disposal fans. In the 40+ years I've been keeping house, I only had one for about a third of the time. Even when all 5 of the children were at home and we produced all manner of garbage, we didn't seem to have any challenge without one. Haven't had one for 15 years and really, really don't miss it. Especially during the last 3 years since I've been composting.

Out of curiosity, why do you want/need one so much?

Out of curiosity, why do you want/need one so much?
It cuts down on our trash so much. It is also much more convenient and less messy than having to get the trash can out (not that that is really that big of a deal, but still...)

Think of it as kinda splitting your garbage up more so less goes out to the trash can and into landfills. For us it is part of recycling so to speak. First we recycle what we can for glass cans and plastic, then what can go onto the garden or in the compost goes, then what can be ground up and flushed down the sink goes thru the garbage disposal (nothing hazardous of course), then what remains goes into trash cans. This way only what can't immediately be recycled goes into the trash can and then into the landfill.
Of course, our garbage disposal has been on the fritz for the last two years, but in all honesty there isn't that much left over for the trash anyway after recycling and composting.

I would love a garbage disposal. I do not have the space to compost living in the city and I hate having to constantly take out half full garbage because there are little scraps that would be way too interesting to the doggies. Also we only have once weekly trash pick up so the less interesting my garbage is to cats raccoons mice rats etc the better.

I have only had it in one apartment ever I cant say I miss it terribly but I would like one.

You want to talk about gross though when I purchased my house the kitchen sink had a garbage disposal attached that had NEVER been hooked up to power so talk about a gross the smell from it filled the kitchen and I think it basically served a a mouse and roach feeder... the first thing I did after closing was take that sucker out.

My (moderately priced, but sharp) knives, and Penzeys spices--those are the things I always miss when I am cooking at my Mom's or my sister's.

When I was married, kitchen tools were given very low priority--the Evil One bought the best quality woodworking and mechanic's tools, but good kitchen stuff was frivolous, according to him.

The first things I bought after the divorce were the best pots and pans, knives, food processor and mixer I could afford. Even though I am only cooking for one, usually, good tools have made my life so much more pleasant. (Or maybe it just seems more pleasant because I am no longer dealing with the Evil One? :ROFLMAO: )

My spork. Titanium. Light weight, for portability and high-speed eating. Virtually indestructible. I have two, just in case...actually, I would say my 8" chefs' knife. But I have always known the value of a good, sharp knife. Beyond that, my food processor. It makes the grunt work of cooking for groups go very quickly. And yes, I do have two titanium sporks...one never knows...

A sharp knife.

Good knives

For me, this is an easy one - good quality, sharp knives.

My knives,

Real knives.

I too would have to say good quality, sharp knives.

I totally agree, for me it would be these sharp set of knives

I concur GB :)

My (moderately priced, but sharp) knives, ....

I guess I'm not alone, ;)

THe Knives have it.

Garbage disposals? I read somewhere garbage disposals keep sewer rats well fed. In some areas this has led to real problems with 'rodents'.

THe house we moved from had a disposal so when we moved into this house 15 years ago I installed one, then several years ago I remodled the kitchen and deleted the disposal. In the intervening 5 or so years I can think of only a hand full of times I really missed not having a disposal.

Storage. I don't know how I got by without a pantry. And more shelving.

And the refrigerator with a bottom freezer. Just went to get cream for the coffee. So nice not having to bend over every time we go to the fridge.

we have had a disposal in the past. When the last one fritzed out, we didn't replace it and I don't miss it at all. Same with the dishwasher - I clean up as I go, and with just the two of us, it only takes a few minutes to hand wash the dishes.

I guess for me, its a toss-up of having plenty of counterspace and having good cookware (pots & pans).

We had a dishwasher, turned out to be a place to store dirty dishes.

So when I built the cabinets I didn't make provisions for a dish washer.

Wife washes, I dry and stow. It's one of those team efforts we seem to enjoy.

Pots and pans and storage ... I know to many it wouldn't seem possible but I have way too much cast iron. I have to choose which ones to keep in the kitchen and which ones to put into storage. And the ones I keep in the kitchen are going to have to be hung on the wall to free up storage space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom