"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #21
Sous Chef
I too will go with microplane.

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Lefty7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #22
Plastic squeeze bottles for oils.

Also got a Waring deep fryer recently and that is a lot of fun too.

tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
Senior Cook
Food processor. I used to be so, "if you do it by hand, it shows how much you care" -- but I can care oh so much more when I get pie pastry in 3 seconds or minced anything in five. (lol)

Oh, putting the flour in a giant salt shaker for dusting the board while I'm kneading bread or rolling out pastry -- things go so much smoother, now.
whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Oh I miss my garbage disposal so much. I have not had one in 5 years and I am dying to get one....

Pretty soon you will not be able to even get one. The water plants are having huge problems with cleaning water, specificaly becasue of garbage disposals. They finally realised that all that food leftovers are nearly impossible to clean. There are already regulations in place, in some places, where a builder is not allowed to install garbage disposal in the new house. Owners though can do what they want, for now. I have been advocating not putting anything into garbage disposal for years.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #25
Real knives. My family never had any kind of real knife - they did all their cooking with steak knives. After I moved away, I went back for a holiday and was asked to prepare something with phyllo dough. My mom handed me a steak knife... yes, a serrated steak knife... I've given her a couple of real knives, but I now bring my own every time I go back just in case.
Fearless Kitchen
Fearless Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
Assistant Cook
I too would have to say good quality, sharp knives. I also grew up using only cheap stake knives and I LOVE my 7" Wusthof knife.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by GB View Post
A sharp knife.
I totally agree, for me it would be these sharp set of knives plus my spice/herb rack and my wire wisk!
My doctor says that I shouldn’t indulge in intimate dinners for 4, unless there are 3 other people there too!

Despite what the nutty professor says, colon cleansing is not the same as passing gas!
Nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #28
Assistant Cook
I can't live without really good olive oil. And believe it or not I love my "Pampered Chef" spatula and wooden spoons. The spatula is heat proof and I use it for cooking. The spoons don't splint or turn colors. One of the few home party purchases I've ever made that I would do again (except they have lasted so long I don't know if I'll ever have to replace them).
lexingtongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #29
Executive Chef
This is soooo hard - I can't choose just one. But I have to say the things I really depend on/delight in/ wouldn't give up without a fight are:
my garbage disposal
high-efficiency vent hood
good quality tri-ply ss cookware
and medium quality, but very sharp, knives!
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just an observation. I'm fascinated at how many people are garbage disposal fans. In the 40+ years I've been keeping house, I only had one for about a third of the time. Even when all 5 of the children were at home and we produced all manner of garbage, we didn't seem to have any challenge without one. Haven't had one for 15 years and really, really don't miss it. Especially during the last 3 years since I've been composting.

Out of curiosity, why do you want/need one so much?

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote