"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #41
Master Chef

A good set of quality knives I have, and I always sharpen them before each use.

Disposals are a good thing in the city as they reduce the amount of garbage that goes into the alleys. That is where the rats are, and that is where the rat problem is, not the sewers. When you have no room to compost because you are in a condo or on a city lot with no space well disposals are a great way to reduce the amount of garbage you send out.
All our waters and sewage are treated, cleaned, redirected, etc out here by the Water Reclamation District. All that stuff you send down the garbage disposal helps them in their process and is better for the environment than just sending it out in plastic bags to sit in a landfill for a couple thousand years...

Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #42
Cook

I love my appliances - my food processor, my stand mixer and my Foodsaver. I'm not sure what I'd do without electricity!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #43
Executive Chef

my KA mixer definately! Then I would have to say my electric lemon juicer, and I'll go with GB on sharp knives.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Disposals are a good thing in the city as they reduce the amount of garbage that goes into the alleys. That is where the rats are, and that is where the rat problem is, not the sewers.
I read about garbage disposals and sewer rats ... YEARS ago.

And these are references I found without really trying:

This charming phenomenon usually occurs because a trail of food from a garbage disposal has attracted a sewer rat, which has taken a wrong turn and surfaced ...

Sewer rat invasions from poor-quality to high-quality neighborhoods are encouraged by modern garbage disposal units that grind and flush house- hold kitchen ...

of garbage disposal wastes may provide rats with very favorable habitats. Rats also. are protected from predators when they travel in the sewer system, ...

disposal of human wastes did not develop on a broad scale until about a ... the increased use of garbage grinders in today's homes, the sewer rat may be ...

Ellen Sandbeck mentioned that putting food down the garbage disposal feeds sewer rats, and can lead them back up ...

Seems to support my assertion: garbage disposals keep sewer rats well fed. In some areas this has led to real problems with 'rodents'.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #45
Sous Chef

No disposal for me...I'm on a septic system. But I have mounted a disposal on a deep utility sink outside for cleaning fish, and all the organic kitchen waste ended up going down it, to be turned into compost.

Quote:
my KA mixer definately!-deelady
You bet! I got to run my N-50 yesterday...always a treat, during and after. That thing is awesome.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #46
Master Chef

I have never even heard of this before, or heard of it happening to anyone around here. However, the alleys are lined with rat traps, and any garbage cans that are not in good shape are immediately taken away and replaced with new ones. Also they ask that in some cases you put bricks on top of the plastic garbage cans and if the rats have chewed into the garbage can you should call the town to have it replaced. Also, if they go thru the alley and find the lid on your garbage can is not properly closed you will be ticketed. This is all because of the rats in the alleys, not the sewers.
A lot of those references were news stories, not a source I completely trust and lord knows they love to sensationalize to get more viewers. Not saying this might not be the case in their areas, but here I can definitely say the problem is not sewer rats trying to get up thru the grates in the drains, past the flood valves, or into other parts of the homes plumbing here in Chicago. Instead here they are entering the alleys to get at the garbage, and instead of returning to the sewers they are staying under houses, foundations, in garages, etc.
For us the problem is in the alleys, and as we say here enter at your own risk! It has been a long time since I have seen an alley that isn't posted for rats or has rat traps up and down it. Another big problem here is all the former warehouses that are being developed and turned into condos. They are full of rats, and they have to go somewhere. The big surprise many people are getting is that it turns out they aren't going anywhere, just staying put! Imagine buying a brand new $250,000 condo only to find rats there!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I have never even heard of this before, or heard of it happening to anyone around here. ....

"The only thing new under the sun is the history that you don't know," . Harry S Truman
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
“The only thing new in this world is the history that you don't know”. Harry S Truman
LOL my point was that what makes it into the news here is when camera crews follow alley inspectors around to see what they do all day, or pieces on how they tore down all the factories on the north side of Cicero so the rats wouldn't have a refuge to hide in, but now they have all taken up residents in our alleys so nice job guys in shooting yourselves in the foot, LOL.
I have not seen one concerning rats and garbage disposals, but then I am not gonna count out the Harry Truman factor either ;)
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #49
Assistant Cook

Teflon Pans and sharp knife :-)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #50
Master Chef

It feels kind of stupid to say it, with all the lovely appliances we have these days, but number one would be what others have said, good quality sharp knives. Honestly even the TV guy's (Ron Popiel? Something like that) knives (which I've owned in the past, and you could do worse) are better than the knives I've dealt with in friends' and loved ones' homes when I help out in the kitchen.

I think my immersion blender would be #2, though.

I think it would be interesting to ask everyone who has responded: How often do you use this? In my case, the good knives every day, several times a day. The immersion blender several times a week.