"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #51
Senior Cook

I couldn't live without my Santoku knives. I prefer them over the chef's knives any day of the week. I am also pretty partial to my microplanes, too.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #52
Head Chef

Silicone spatulas and pot holders--love 'em.

And dozens of kitchen towels--I don't think I even have a roll of paper towels any more.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #53
Executive Chef

I don't have Alleys or open sewers here, but then I don't have a disposal either.

My mini chopper and silicone spatulas and cast iron I could live without, but they do make life easier. And you can't count on having electricity all the time, especially during rainy-which is lightning season, so I try to use manual tools when possible.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #54
Sous Chef

Morter and Pestal.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #55
Head Chef

I thought all those alligators reported to be in the sewers were killing off all those sewer rats.

I find a garbage disposal far better than people stuff large chunks of food down their drains, which I believe is one of the reasons why they were invented. Personally I prefer all my food stuffs to feed the worms in my compost bin.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #56
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
For us the problem is in the alleys, and as we say here enter at your own risk! It has been a long time since I have seen an alley that isn't posted for rats or has rat traps up and down it. Another big problem here is all the former warehouses that are being developed and turned into condos. They are full of rats, and they have to go somewhere. The big surprise many people are getting is that it turns out they aren't going anywhere, just staying put! Imagine buying a brand new $250,000 condo only to find rats there!

LOL! This sound familiar. My neigborhood is full of loft conversions... one is part of a complex that is still an active produce warehouse...

This is why I have a cat
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #57
Senior Cook

believe it or not... I have never seen a rat.

We live in a stick-built single family dwelling on a 120' x 120' lot in a small town (about 12,000 population) and have an alley in back, with dumpsters and 2x weekly trash pickup. We are on the city water and sewer system. We've lived here for 30 years. I did have a problem once with an escapee gerbil who wrecked havoc in my kitchen cabinets till we caught him (LOL) but that's the only rodent I've ever seen anywhere around my house. The rat stories are interesting!

Back to the topic - I use my counterspace and my pots 'n pans every day. I wish I'd been smarter when we redesigned/remodeled my kitchen 25 years ago - I'd have put more counterspace on the island, which is where my Jennaire cooktop is. I really would like for it to be a bit bigger than just enough to hold a spoon. :)
Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Onions. I can't believe how much of my life was wasted believing I didn't like onions.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #59
Master Chef

Four top things.. whisks, spoons, sharp knives, and stick-blender.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #60
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
stick-blender.
Alright, I feel kinda foolish ... my hubby got me one of these last Christmas. It's a really good one. I find myself forgetting to use it. I would love to reach for it several times a week ... what are you guys using it on besides soups? I tried ice cream and thought the blender did a better job on shakes and smoothies. What am I missing?