I Can't Believe I Lived Without.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
What kitchen impliment and ingredient did you at somepoint discover that changed everything... what can you not even imagine cooking without that you once did not have.

For me on the equipment side it is the Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. For years I had really crummy cookware... I was pretty transient and never bought anything I felt I needed to take along... of course the cruddy stuff kept following me... I cooked with cheap enameled steel... stuff I got free ... the cheap stuff from ikea.. I made do... and could still but I cant imagine not having a dutch oven. (I have more than I need right now) this is the most used pot type in my kitchen. I really found it made everything better and easier.

For ingredients it is Cilantro.... never heard of it before I moved to Texas.. it seemed to be in everything there... mexican, vietnamese etc I found it strange at first but now I love it and use it for so many things...

both of these things I lived without for a long time but just cant imagine not having now.... when I moved and had to get all new kitchen stuff the first thing I did was get a DO.

So what revolutionized your cooking?

I'm not sure it did much for revolutionizing my cooking, but my FoodSaver has been my biggest 'I could not live without' gadget.

Absolute top of my list is the spoon, especially in varying sizes, and some uniquely with slots or holes in them. I could not survive without them.

For appliances I would normally pick the FoodSaver vacuum sealer, but I went absolutely giddy with the Reynolds "handi-vac" unit with its ability to reopen a vacuum-sealed bags unlimited times. Pure ecstasy. :w00t2::mrgreen::w00t2:

I can't say one thing, I have to say bunches...

My KA model G mixer, Vita Mix 4000, Robot Coupe FP, Copco enameled cast iron cook/bakeware, Sabatier knives, and even though they are in storage maple butcher block table, American Crown range, and marble pastry table.

Good knives and my seasoned sea salts of varying colors and seasonings
kades

A French shaped skillet. I had lots of straight sided skillets, but the French shape makes sauteing so much easier...

How do you pick just one? I'd have to say the upper oven on my JennAire. No room or budget here for commercial so we are enjoying the versatility a second oven offers. Fractioned size aside, I'll bet we use it 90% of the time.

As for ingredients, my kitchen would absolutely stand still without good olive oil and kosher salt.

Yea, more than one here too. First my CI pans, love em to death along with my SS set. And then there is the KA Food Processor 14cup I got last year on my birthday.

Food Processor - just started using one this summer and I love it. Great for making just about everything.

Extra virgin olive oil is probably my most used ingredient. Can't get enough of it :chef:

Lots of things for me:
food processor
microplane grater (greatest invention ever!)
digital thermometer
Kitchen Aid stand mixer
Le Crueset dutch oven

three items for me first come to mind, the first two I never thought I would own, even actively avoided them.

microwave oven, this appliance transformed my cooking style, enabling me to do batch cooking. Like yesterday, I made 2 gallons of vegetable soup. We will reheat this soup for dinner for many meals and I will freeze some for later meals.

bread machine, my MIL bought me my first one. I used to make all my breads by hand, then I bought all my breads at a whole wheat type bakery. The buying was fun, got me to a college town on a regular basis, had no intention of giving that up. Now the bread machine either bakes off my sandwich bread or kneads all other breads.

and finally, something I had lusted after for many years, a dish washer. Now I freely fill up the miracle machine, sometimes three times a day.

Gosh, I do not know. Really. I have tons of toys in the kitchen, but I kind of had them for a while now and I do not remember how was it with out using them.

For me, this is an easy one - good quality, sharp knives. I'm frequently invited to cook in other people's kitchens and usually I don't even ask about equipment and tools on hand. I figure I can make do with whatever is available.

The exception is knives. Almost invariably, the knives are cheap, dull and unsuited for the task. I always bring my own (along with a steel and ceramic sharpener).

Try having a garbage disposal for about 10 years, then living 3 years without one. We moved into a rent house while in transition to a new/renovated old house. I missed that more than the ice maker that we did not have during that time. When I built my kitchen, I wanted a garbage disposal that could swallow a turkey.

Immersion blender-so easy, no mess transferring the soup to the regular blender then back again

microwave rice maker-easy, rice doesnt stick to the bottom, dont run out of water, no nee d to constantly stir or constantly watch until it is done.

Try having a garbage disposal for about 10 years, then living 3 years without one. We moved into a rent house while in transition to a new/renovated old house. I missed that more than the ice maker that we did not have during that time. When I built my kitchen, I wanted a garbage disposal that could swallow a turkey.
Oh I miss my garbage disposal so much. I have not had one in 5 years and I am dying to get one. It would require getting an electrician to run juice for us though as there is no where to plug one in right now and that is just an expense I can not justify right now.

Back
Top Bottom