"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm wondering if you guys (those whose crock pots have failed them) are using older slow cookers?

my first crock pot from 20 + years ago took forever to cook things, but the two that i've bought since seem to work on a higher temperature, low or high setting.

that may have been a food safety thing, or just an accident now that everything is made in asia, but there's definitely a difference.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Senior Cook

When I do pork butt in the crock pot I cook it for at least 12 hours on low. It falls off the bone. Did you add any water? I put the roast, 2 cups of water, onion, and cloves in the crockpot, cover and cook for 12 hrs on low. It shreds easily then I put it back in after draining the liquid out of the pot and cover it shredded meat with freshly chopped onion and bbq sauce, let it cook 2 hours on low. Also how big was the pork butt? It may not be done yet.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Have you tried slicing it real thin, then running it through your shredder?

Empty the catch basket first, of course, unless your diet requires more fiber.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavinsco View Post
I am making enchiladas.... so I put a pork butt in the crock pot this morning... its been in there for 9 hours and it is still really firm. I have this problem with pot roast too!!! Everyone says that it is impossible to screw up corckpot cooking but I seem to find a way to fail everytime.

Is there anythiing that I can do to salvage my enchilda meat??
I don' t cook shoulder in the slow cooker, myself. I use a cast iron Dutch oven with about a cup and a half of beef stock and a couple of rosemary sprigs, rub the roast with garlic powder and chili powder, and set the meat on a bed of coarsely chopped onions. I cook it at 250 degrees in the oven for about 5 hours, then 375 for another hour (I don't know if that last step is necessary, but the method I first used calls for it, so I just stay with it). Comes out easy to shred, and even a big roast which barely fits in the pot cooks well.

I just made pulled pork sandwiches a couple of days ago, then used the leftovers for open faced hot pork sandwiches.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I prefer to cook pork for pulled pork in an open pan (not a dutch oven or a slow cooker). The dry heat creates a nice bark (crust) that really adds flavor to the finished product. Also, that's necessary to get smoke into the meat.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I prefer to cook pork for pulled pork in an open pan (not a dutch oven or a slow cooker). The dry heat creates a nice bark (crust) that really adds flavor to the finished product. Also, that's necessary to get smoke into the meat.
oh oh... you said the S word.
Now we'll get the thread police saying the thread has been taken over by the smokers.

Definitely gotta have the bark though.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Master Chef

Pork butt needs to get to 190 and sometimes a bit higher in order for the collagen to melt. It won't shred at lower temps.

Mine usually gets to about 200 and falls totally off the bone.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't have a smoker, and although I have smoked a pork butt on my Weber gas grill, it takes constant attention to keep the temperature right. This time I had errands to run while the roast cooked, so the oven was the logical choice. I did add Liquid Smoke to the pot for at least simulated smoking.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I don't have a smoker, and although I have smoked a pork butt on my Weber gas grill, it takes constant attention to keep the temperature right. This time I had errands to run while the roast cooked, so the oven was the logical choice. I did add Liquid Smoke to the pot for at least simulated smoking.
I've done pulled pork in my oven using liquid smoke. The point I wanted to make was to leave it uncovered/open so the surface would brown rather than braising it in a covered pot or slow cooker.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
I've done pulled pork in my oven using liquid smoke. The point I wanted to make was to leave it uncovered/open so the surface would brown rather than braising it in a covered pot or slow cooker.
Gotcha.

Tags
pork