"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-05-2004, 04:22 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I Could Eat Like A Horse....

WOW! I cant belive we have so MANY folks on here that have pets!!!
I started thinking... I like to feed my cats something special every once in a while. Tonight I broke open a can of tuna. (its their favorite!! :D )
Does your pet have a favorite food??
Do you have them on a special diet?
Do you ever whip up something special for them?
What do you feed them on a regular basis?
Do you have any cool recipes for your cat or dog?

I would love to know! And it would be GREAT if you had a recipe or 2 you could share. I know my cats would love to try them!
I bet our furry little guys will appreciate it!

Old 04-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My cats don't care much for beef but will kill for chicken!

When we got our puppy, Duncan, they told us to be sure to feed him just this special puppy food they sold there, for at least a week. The first thing we got in the house with him he found half an old hamburger and bag of fries my husband had accidentally left next to his chair. Sheesh! He does eat his puppy food, but he likes an occasional treat. Usually it is a Milkbone, but sometimes it is a little piece of meat.

I did learn something about feeding tablescraps though. You don't want to give your dogs too much fat, but the fat won't hurt cats. It actually helps their coats.

A lot of people give their cats milk as a treat, but this is actually not good for them. Try cottage cheese instead. :)

Barbara

Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Molly is a fuss pot. She eats biscuits (cat ones) of a morning and whiskas pouches of an evening, but the must be ones in gravy, not jelly. And she will only eat tuna and salmon, she doesn't like other fish. Except fried human fish, she will do that. And anything smoked, ham, bacon, smoked salmon, she loves all that.

She only likes milk after it's had cereal in it, I only giver milk once a month, if that. She loves yoghurt though.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I just read that cats like garlic. I never saw my cats go for it. KNow anything about that?
Also, I heard that dogs LOVE ground beef mixed with lots of instant rice, and a few soild dashes of salt. I also heard that it is GREAT for their stomach its upset. I wonder... price-wise it might be even LESS expensive than canned stuff if you made it in a large quantity. For good nutrition, you could have dry dog food in the morning and the beef/rice stuff at night.
Any opinion on this?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

My Kitty is on a diet, We just moved so we are keeping the cat inside so he dosent stray. Well he has gotten so big that I had to cut the wet food out of his diet, and he can only get a treat once a week, and he is on diet food, which he dosent seem to mind. Although some one mentioned to me that they have noticedcats put on a lot of weight when they are put in an envirment with a dog bigger than itself, so it dosent feel imtimidated, but who knows

Fat cat from Nova Scotia
Old 04-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Deadly Sushi,

When my mom's dog got old and couldn't eat dog food, the vet told her to feed her hamburger and rice (she cooked up regular rice, not instant). It was easy to make, and Baby liked it.

:) Barbara
Old 04-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

French Fried,

If you are planning on letting your cat out eventually, here is a tip someone told me. I can't guarantee it works, but I've never had a cat disappear. :) Rub a little butter on the pad of one of his paws. When he licks the butter off he will get the scent of his new home and will be able to find his way home. If you have lived there awhile, he really won't need this, but I always do this as soon as I move, in case the cat gets out sooner than I want her to.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

That`s a good idea if it works, It sounds reasonable enough, Although I am unsure if I am going to let the cat out again. That Kitty drove me crazy letting him in and out every minite on the minite.

My God mother had to feed her dog a mixture of egg, hamburger, and rice that dog ate that for at least 10 years, I think it originally had a stomach problem, but it was a healthy dog other than that.That food probably is better than any food that you could buy, but It is also a pain in the batotty
Old 04-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #9
DC Grandma

I Could Eat Like A Horse....

Cooked rice is good for a dog if he goes potty and it is to runny..dirrearra..
My little Dove eats anything if it hits the floor and I move away from it..that means she can have it. She loves all raw vegetables except onions.Last night she ate raw calluflower and brocolli. :roll:
Carrots raw act like dental floss but they do have sugar in them so son't overfeed.
Marge--------Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:14 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom's dog Baby would eat anything my mom would eat, except lettuce. Her favorite treat was gingersnaps. And we had a cat that I think must have been starved when she was a baby. She was so greedy that she would eat anything if she thought the other cats were going to get it. I always said she would eat rocks if she thought they wanted it!