I found a first edition cookbook from 1948!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
It's a thing of beauty and a piece of history. It's (and please forgive the language, keep in mind it was acceptable in 1948) A Date With A Dish: A Cookbook Of American Negro Recipes by Freda De Knight. The author was the first African American food editor. And it was the first non regional cookbook by and for African Americans. I can hardly wait to cook from it! I'm going to find a plastic jacket for it as we cannot afford to replace if it was ruined. We got it for a quarter of the lowest price for it on Amazon. We even for it for store credit from the books we turned in that we had no intention of reading. No, I'm not African American but do I have to be to appreciate this book? Squee! I just had to brag. I'm so proud! It's going on the shelf in a place of honor right beside my Amy Vanderbuilt cookbook.

My hubby, who is a comic book aficionado has suggested that if I find a recipe in the book and it's a success that I write it down in the computer or on paper thus wearing the book out by continually coming back to it. Oh, btw it is definatly a keeper. Guy loved the succotash recipe and it's usually me that loves succotash.

That's a special find! I'd love to have a chance to read through that book and make a few recipes.

Oh yes! It was one of those once in a lifetime lucky finds. Maybe I'll post a few recipes. ?

Back
Top Bottom