"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Welcome to MY LIFE. I feel the same way due to picky eater. Husband won't eat: seafood/fish, most veggies except maybe 5, almost all dairy/cream dishes minus pizza/lasagna/chicken parm. No white sauces (mayo, white roux, cream based).

It doesn't sound bad but imagine how limited cooking is with no dairy, veggies, fish. It's like the never ending Atkins diet of meat all the time but with rice and potatoes (always cooked the same way due to above limitations)

Remember yours is temporary!!! Good luck
I understand, Siegal. I deal with that too. She doesn't like any cream sauces - no Alfredo. She doesn't like risotto. She doesn't like lamb. She doesn't like cheesy dishes or those with too much bacon. I could go on but you get the idea.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Everymom

I don't know if she has done a lot of diet research but the Carbohydrate Addict's diet might work for both of you. It works, and you could have the carbs at dinner.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have no issue with someone's dieting. I think the right way to do it is to eat fewer calories and burn more calories. That way, you can eat all kinds of foods in moderation.
That approach sounds logical but it does not work for everyone. Maybe some of us are weak or perhaps some of us are wired differently. I think DNA mapping will eventually show that some are wired differently. In my case I have tried all sorts of things and the lo carb/Atkins approach works for me. It keeps my blood sugar spot on track so my diabetes is under control and it eliminates cravings for sweets and other high carb. items. We all need to find our own way in this world!

Check out the menus in Atkins for life. They show you how to create the same meal with different levels of carbs. SO can take the low road and you can take the high road.

I must admit if you try it you won't see much chocolate cake!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

I feel your pain as the primary cook Andy. I feel the same way, but I'm the one back on Atkins and also the primary cook. Atkins really limits our basic need to cook creatively doesn't it. I don't think I'll be so hard core with my latest attempt and look into the more liberal South Beach Diet. If SO is like me, drastic reduction (if not total elimination) of all white food seems to be the only way for me to effectively loose weight.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I've been obsessed with huevos haminados lately. Atkins friendly. Plus I usually cook them in a "easy" cholent so you can eat the barley and brand and she can eat the eggs and meat!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I've been obsessed with huevos haminados lately. Atkins friendly. Plus I usually cook them in a "easy" cholent so you can eat the barley and brand and she can eat the eggs and meat!
Can you tell me more, Siegal? I googled "huevos haminados"....very interesting, but don't understand the part highlighted in red.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
...She doesn't like cheesy dishes or those with too much bacon...
What? And yet you two are still together! *sigh* True love.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
SO announced she's back on an Atkins diet effective today. It makes me crazy. I feel like I can't cook. Everything I think of has carbs. Not necessarily a lot of carbs but enough to make it taboo.

Needless to say, as soon as she starts, I crave pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.

It's not that it's difficult. Throw some meat and salad on a plate and I'm done but I like to do a little more than that. It's not that SO is difficult or demanding. She isn't. She would be OK with my cooking a couple of pounds of bacon and she would eat that for a week. I'm just annoyed I have to avoid an entire food group this week and beyond.

So now I've spent part of this morning scanning the latest Atkins carb chart. As I scroll past the discussion of Acceptable and Unacceptable foods. "Stay away from those, they're not our kind of food."

Oh, well. Thanks for letting me vent.
I do so agree with your title. As with any diet which completely excludes an essential food group, Atkins is not a healthy regime.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That approach sounds logical but it does not work for everyone...
I have to disagree, Aunt Bea. If you eat fewer calories than you burn through your daily activities, you will lose weight. Whether or not an individual can be successful limiting intake is another story. Not everyone can.

I'm glad Atkins works for you. Dieting while managing diabetes can't be easy.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Can you tell me more, Siegal? I googled "huevos haminados"....very interesting, but don't understand the part highlighted in red.
Yea there is a typo there -sorry. Cholent is slow cooked over night dish. You literally throw a bunch of things in pot overnight. Barley, dry Lima beans, carrot chunks, onion chunks, peeled potato, flanken meat (short rib cut other way), marrow bones, kishke if you want (google it but that negates the easy). Season with Lipton onion soup mix, g Washington or whatever u like. Cover with water. Put eggs on top. Cook 275 over night. Add water as needed to stay moist. Anyway. Atkins dieter can pick out meat and eggs and you can enjoy healthy grains and beans and veggies. So easy to make and everyone in the family picks out what they like from the pot.