I Hate Atkins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it were only a matter of "eat less, move more" there wouldn't be as much obesity, diabetes, heart disease, yadda yadda. All of which are preventable and reversible Via nutrition. Not talking the farce of fat / carbs / protein here but down at the micro nutrient level.

If we'd fill ourselves full with the most nutrient dense foods it would be nearly impossible to over eat. Instead we find ourselves shopping in grocery stores that are stocked to the gills with processed "unfood" and we gorge on "food stuff" that is empty calories with little to no nutritional value. If we would learn to concentrate on reaching daily vitamin, mineral and fiber requirements the fat/protein/carb stuff becomes pretty much moot.

Last year I was told I have diabetes & I didn't want my lifestyle to kill me so I joined a gym, stopped drinking beer, stop eating like I use to & made a huge lifestyle change. I lost 40 + pounds, I was toning up, I was looking & feeling good...... it stank to high heaven but I was determined to live a healthy life.

It almost cost me my marriage.

This year I decided I would start to eat like I use to but smaller portions & keep on exercising then my pup, Boomer, died & my life has been one big change after another.

I do miss exercising but right now I have two new dogs (one is a year old & Tucker, the baby) & I just don't want to ignore my babies so I stopped exercising so I could work with the pups. I started drinking every other week again, I am back in my kitchen making new stuff & the hubby & I are back to where we once were in our relationship so I really have a lot to think about.

Do I give up my happy home life to be fit or do I just go back to being who I use to be & accept myself for who I am? I wasn't very happy with anything last year, I was miserable. My hubby doesn't mind who I am, the way I am so why do I keep dwelling on my body?

I think I will choose my marriage & be happy that I have the man I do who wants me to be me & still wants to spend time with me.

The Atkins Diet has come under fire over the years by so many doctors. They have stated it to be not only unhealthy, but down right dangerous. Yet it still is popular. There are a lot of nutrients in some carbs that our body needs. The potato is a perfect example. It is not the villain it is made out to be. The reason so many folks fail to stay on the Atkins Diet is because after a while their body starts to crave the nutrients that you get mostly from carbs. I have never taken a look at the diet. Only have talked to friends and relatives who have gone on it and failed again and again. Sure they lose weight right away. Then they hit that dang plateau and get discouraged and feel the need for those carbs.

Andy, I hope your SO succeeds in her quest to lose the weight. Not only will she feel better for having made some progress, but you will be able to get back to what you love to do. Cook. Good luck. :angel:

Diet advice is like divorce advice. Those who think they give the best divorce advice is those who have never divorced. I struggle with portion control. Yep, I just can't stop. I have an addiction to bread. I travel almost every week. I can sit at a resturant and eat the entire loaf of bread if it is brought to me. If I limit my carb intake, I can be satisfied with more protein and lose/maintain weight. yes you can loose weight if calories burn - calorie intake is > 0. It does not manage portion control and the need to eat until you are full. I have a friend, who is skinny, that really pokes at my weight. My return is that my eating is just like his temper. Neither of us can control them.

...yes you can loose weight if calories burn - calorie intake is > 0. It does not manage portion control and the need to eat until you are full...

Diet plans do not manage portion control, that's the individual's responsibility. If the individual isn't willing to follow ANY diet's rules, they will not lose weight.

Calorie management worked for me. I prefer it because it's basic, simple and let's me eat whatever foods I want as long as I meet my calorie goals.

Losing weight isn't easy. Quitting smoking was very hard for me. I had to do it a few times before it 'took'. Losing weight is harder than that. So whatever works is what you should do. Atkins, South Beach, Scarsdale, Grapefruit, etc. Good luck to you. I hope it works.

I've always thought that the Atkins diet was too strict and the science doesn't add up. I do think eliminating or limiting low-nutrient carbs like bread, pasta and rice can be effective. I don't have that much discipline myself :)

I've always thought that the Atkins diet was too strict and the science doesn't add up. I do think eliminating or limiting low-nutrient carbs like bread, pasta and rice can be effective. I don't have that much discipline myself :)

I don't like it for the same reasons but I've seen it work.

I live a low carb lifestyle and have lost 22 pounds since the end of February. I still cook everything for anyone else in the house that is eating. I just choose to eat things that help me to lose my weight. I will still have a bite of pasta when they are eating it, but I also have a big pile of broccoli with sauce. When there is something I make for others, I will eat just a tiny bit of it, and not a big serving. I realize that this is how I will need to live my life in order to feel good. My point here is that you should still cook what you want to eat, but also the things that SO needs to eat if the low carb diet is working for her. Just don't fix as much pasta, and provide her with alternative foods that also go well.

Whew!
For just a bit, I thought this was gonna be a rant about Chet Atkins....one of the greatest guitarists to ever pick the instrument.

We can talk about him if you want. I'll go first. Who's Chet Atkins?

Welcome to MY LIFE. I feel the same way due to picky eater. Husband won't eat: seafood/fish, most veggies except maybe 5, almost all dairy/cream dishes minus pizza/lasagna/chicken parm. No white sauces (mayo, white roux, cream based).

It doesn't sound bad but imagine how limited cooking is with no dairy, veggies, fish. It's like the never ending Atkins diet of meat all the time but with rice and potatoes (always cooked the same way due to above limitations)

Remember yours is temporary!!! Good luck

Picky Eaters, the bane of creative cooks and chefs everywhere. I have the same problem with DW. But I'm not trading her in. We kinda luv each other:wub:. If only I could get her tongue straightened out, so that she could enjoy the variety I love.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, this thread has been an interesting exercise.

SO came home from work tonight and announced she was not going to do the Atkins diet. She will just eat less.

I'm glad I didn't get all upset and go on a rant.

Well, this thread has been an interesting exercise.

SO came home from work tonight and announced she was not going to do the Atkins diet. She will just eat less.

I'm glad I didn't get all upset and go on a rant.

:ROFLMAO:

(Psst, don't show SO this thread. Your secret is safe with us.)

Can you tell me more, Siegal? I googled "huevos haminados"....very interesting, but don't understand the part highlighted in red.

Cholent is a dish cooked overnight either on the stove or in a crock pot, so people have hot dish on Shabbos. Since one not supposed to cook on Shabbos but permitted to start a dish and leave it on from before Shabbos. It could be many things, often it is sort of stew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having grown up with a vegetarian mother that made no demands on any cook for her dietary needs, except herself, I simply let dieters take care of their own food requirements. And my dad had the answer for picky eaters: You don't like what's on the table? I'm sorry. Suppers over for you. I follow the examples of my elders.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom