"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #21
Head Chef

If it were only a matter of "eat less, move more" there wouldn't be as much obesity, diabetes, heart disease, yadda yadda. All of which are preventable and reversible Via nutrition. Not talking the farce of fat / carbs / protein here but down at the micro nutrient level.

If we'd fill ourselves full with the most nutrient dense foods it would be nearly impossible to over eat. Instead we find ourselves shopping in grocery stores that are stocked to the gills with processed "unfood" and we gorge on "food stuff" that is empty calories with little to no nutritional value. If we would learn to concentrate on reaching daily vitamin, mineral and fiber requirements the fat/protein/carb stuff becomes pretty much moot.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Last year I was told I have diabetes & I didn't want my lifestyle to kill me so I joined a gym, stopped drinking beer, stop eating like I use to & made a huge lifestyle change. I lost 40 + pounds, I was toning up, I was looking & feeling good...... it stank to high heaven but I was determined to live a healthy life.

It almost cost me my marriage.

This year I decided I would start to eat like I use to but smaller portions & keep on exercising then my pup, Boomer, died & my life has been one big change after another.

I do miss exercising but right now I have two new dogs (one is a year old & Tucker, the baby) & I just don't want to ignore my babies so I stopped exercising so I could work with the pups. I started drinking every other week again, I am back in my kitchen making new stuff & the hubby & I are back to where we once were in our relationship so I really have a lot to think about.

Do I give up my happy home life to be fit or do I just go back to being who I use to be & accept myself for who I am? I wasn't very happy with anything last year, I was miserable. My hubby doesn't mind who I am, the way I am so why do I keep dwelling on my body?

I think I will choose my marriage & be happy that I have the man I do who wants me to be me & still wants to spend time with me.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

The Atkins Diet has come under fire over the years by so many doctors. They have stated it to be not only unhealthy, but down right dangerous. Yet it still is popular. There are a lot of nutrients in some carbs that our body needs. The potato is a perfect example. It is not the villain it is made out to be. The reason so many folks fail to stay on the Atkins Diet is because after a while their body starts to crave the nutrients that you get mostly from carbs. I have never taken a look at the diet. Only have talked to friends and relatives who have gone on it and failed again and again. Sure they lose weight right away. Then they hit that dang plateau and get discouraged and feel the need for those carbs.

Andy, I hope your SO succeeds in her quest to lose the weight. Not only will she feel better for having made some progress, but you will be able to get back to what you love to do. Cook. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Diet advice is like divorce advice. Those who think they give the best divorce advice is those who have never divorced. I struggle with portion control. Yep, I just can't stop. I have an addiction to bread. I travel almost every week. I can sit at a resturant and eat the entire loaf of bread if it is brought to me. If I limit my carb intake, I can be satisfied with more protein and lose/maintain weight. yes you can loose weight if calories burn - calorie intake is > 0. It does not manage portion control and the need to eat until you are full. I have a friend, who is skinny, that really pokes at my weight. My return is that my eating is just like his temper. Neither of us can control them.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
...yes you can loose weight if calories burn - calorie intake is > 0. It does not manage portion control and the need to eat until you are full...
Diet plans do not manage portion control, that's the individual's responsibility. If the individual isn't willing to follow ANY diet's rules, they will not lose weight.

Calorie management worked for me. I prefer it because it's basic, simple and let's me eat whatever foods I want as long as I meet my calorie goals.

Losing weight isn't easy. Quitting smoking was very hard for me. I had to do it a few times before it 'took'. Losing weight is harder than that. So whatever works is what you should do. Atkins, South Beach, Scarsdale, Grapefruit, etc. Good luck to you. I hope it works.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I've always thought that the Atkins diet was too strict and the science doesn't add up. I do think eliminating or limiting low-nutrient carbs like bread, pasta and rice can be effective. I don't have that much discipline myself
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've always thought that the Atkins diet was too strict and the science doesn't add up. I do think eliminating or limiting low-nutrient carbs like bread, pasta and rice can be effective. I don't have that much discipline myself
I don't like it for the same reasons but I've seen it work.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I don't like it for the same reasons but I've seen it work.
Short-term or long-term? Since so many foods are restricted, I would expect short-term weight loss, but people I've known who tried it got bored after a while and quit. Long-term I'd be concerned about kidney disease, osteoporosis and nutritional deficiencies.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/high-prote...ohydrate-diets
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Short-term or long-term?...

Short.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
Executive Chef

I live a low carb lifestyle and have lost 22 pounds since the end of February. I still cook everything for anyone else in the house that is eating. I just choose to eat things that help me to lose my weight. I will still have a bite of pasta when they are eating it, but I also have a big pile of broccoli with sauce. When there is something I make for others, I will eat just a tiny bit of it, and not a big serving. I realize that this is how I will need to live my life in order to feel good. My point here is that you should still cook what you want to eat, but also the things that SO needs to eat if the low carb diet is working for her. Just don't fix as much pasta, and provide her with alternative foods that also go well.