"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #11
Master Chef

I love lamb and find it getting less and less flavorfull; quite often it just tastes like beef. I'm in the camp of trying to educate your palate and learning to like foods you might not at first blush. It sure makes travel and international freindships more interesting if you can learn to enjoy new foods, because much of any culture is the food. Remember with meats, be it lamb or game meats, more fat means a stronger flavor. You'll get less of the gamier flavor in the leaner cuts. I think you're on the right track. Bravo for trying. I'd say to let it go for awhile and try again later. Who knows? Maybe some day you'll be on a Greek Isle and be presented with a kabab to die for, or be given a morsel in Turkey by a belly dancer, or ....

Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
Cook

Hehe, thankyou for the advice claire. And Sarah I was wondering how hard it is to attain goat now-a-days, because i've never seen it in stores, or heard of it online. So if anyone knows a meat company that will ship goat, then please post the url (i think its called) on this forum.
Adios.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

You may be able to find it in the ethnic markets in Toronto. It would be available at least during the holiday season and perhaps year-'round. Let your fingers do the walking...

As a side note, I see it in the supermarket every February in Aruba but haven't yet bought any. I think it would be a hard sell for my SO.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
i prefer goat to lamb,but lamb chops r really good fried on high heat in a cast-iron skillet in a little oil.
I love goat too Sarah but, it's pretty hard to find in
Washington. I eat as much as possible on our trips to Greece though. The next trip is planned for next summer and my mouth is already watering at the thought of our "welcome home dinner".
Old 06-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_the_chef
Hehe, thankyou for the advice claire. And Sarah I was wondering how hard it is to attain goat now-a-days, because i've never seen it in stores, or heard of it online. So if anyone knows a meat company that will ship goat, then please post the url (i think its called) on this forum.
Adios.
You should be able to buy goat in any Latin American, Middle Eastern, or Pilipino specialty meat market in the greater Toronto area. Toronto is pretty diversified, ethnically speaking, so it shouldn't be all THAT hard to find.

Here is a lamb recipe I developed for a friend who wanted something with an "Italian Twist" to it. It was originally a Greek recipe with different seasonings and Feta cheese.

Lamb roast, boneless leg, or loin, 3 to 5 pounds

Marinade:
1 lemon, juice and zest
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Topping:

1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 cup gorgonzola

To make the Marinade: Zest the lemon, juice the lemon, then mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass bowl or large measuring cup. Place the lamb in a plastic storage bag, pour the marinade onto the meat, squeeze out all the air, then seal the bag. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or overnight, in the refrigerator of course.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Roast the lamb for 25 to 40 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 145F (medium rare) to 170F (medium) Allow to rest 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

After slicing the lamb and arranging it on a serving platter, mix all topping ingredients except cheese together and spoon over lamb. Crumble cheese over topping, then garnish with rosemary sprig, if desired.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
Cook

Thanks for the lamb recipe Caine. I wil have to try it to see if it changes the way i feel about lamb. Also thanks to the other who have posted on where i could find goat. I guess toronto is pretty diverse, and ill have to go out one of these weekends to see if I can find some.

Adios.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
Old 06-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef

OKAY red face here. I was reading the different responses and realized that there is a lamb dish that I use to eat once a week at work. I absolutely loved it. Has been years since I have last eaten it, but may have to try making it. This recipe is close I think. I use to order the greek salad, gyro and potato salad. Ummmmy!!!!!

Gyro with Greek Sauce

Ingredients

• 2 lbs lamb
  • 4 scallion; chopped
  • 1 clove garlic; minced
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp parsley
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper; freshly ground,
  • 8 pita pockets

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients, except pita. On skewer, pack meat mixture about 5" long and not more than 2" in diameter.
  2. Put as many 2" long hunks of meat as possible on a skewer leaving a little space in between.
  3. Heat a skillet to medium-hot. Cook Skewered meat for 10 minutes (or until fully cooked), turning frequently.
  4. Take pita and slide meat into center. Drizzle with sauce and serve hot. TO MAKE THE GREEK SAUCE:
  5. Mix together 1 cup yogurt; juice of 1 lemon; 1/8 tsp dill weed, 2 chopped scallions; 2 tbsp chopped, peeled, and seeded cucumbers
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I also have a couple of Middle Eastern recipes with lamb, but they're not mine, they belong to a dear friend from Lebanon, so I do not feel I have a right to post them.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Mitch - the marinating ideas might be your last resort - if you still don't like that I think you can honestly say I HATE lamb! lol

This is just a simple red wine/soy marinade but it might change the flavor enough so you will find it enjoyable. I would use a leg of lamb and marinate overnight.

2 cups red wine dry
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy or teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

If you like these ingredients I would also add
1 bunch of sliced scallions and about 1 tsp fresh grated or minced ginger

Combine all ingredients and
marinate lamb overnight

After marinating you may boil the marinade for 10
minutes and use as a basting sauce.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #20
Cook

Thanks guys and gals.

Hmm not ot put the others in the books but i think i'll try the marinating method. seemed simple enough and may be a good idea to change the flavors a bit. But still thankyou to all who posted in this thread. I really am happy that i got a bunch of great lamb recipes for myself and others.

Adios.