"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Cook

I hate lamb

I was just wondering if you guys and gals have any good recipes with lamb, because everytime i tried(twice) to make it i didnt like it very much. I tried it once on my fourteenth birthday( yes i am fourteen), and didnt like it very much. I amso tried it recently and again didnt like it. Now i know i dont like lamb but there has have to be something that can make it taste alright. I apreciate and recipes or tips posted.

Thankyou & Later

Old 06-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What kind of cuts have you been using? Certain cuts of lamb are more gamey than others. Also, where has the lamb been raised? Australian and New Zealand lamb tend to be more gamey than American raised lamb. I would look for the following cuts since they will have less of that strong flavor:
  • Rack of Lamb
  • Loin Chops
  • Loin or Tenderloin
Cuts that are usually designated as "lamb chops" usually have a pretty strong flavor, as are lamb legs and lamb roasts. The three cuts listed above are pretty mild. Out of the three, the loin chops would be the cheapest to buy.

Here's a recipe that's pretty simple, easy to make, and good. You don't have to use a rack for this, one of the other three cuts will work just as well.

Grilled Herb-Garlic Marninated Rack of Lamb with Fig-Balsamic Syrup and Cranberry Honey

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 full Lamb Racks, frenched and trimmed of fat
2/3 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves Fresh Garlic
1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
1 Tbsp. Fresh Flat Leaf or Regular Parsley
2 c. store bought Fig Infused Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp. White Sugar
1/4 c. store bought Cranberry Honey (or whatever honey you have)
Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper

Method:

In a food processor or blender, combine the oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Pulse until incorporated, then in a ziplock bag or shallow marinating dish, pour the mixture over the lamb and massage onto surface of the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight. In a sauce pan, add the vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Bring the heat down to a simmer, and reduce the vinegar until it becomes thick and syrupy. You should have about 1/3 c. remaining if it's properly reduced. Remove from heat and keep warm. Prepare grill. Remove the lamb from the fridge and marinade and let it sit for 15 minutes at room temp. Season both sides with kosher salt and pepper, and grill lamb to desired doneness (but no more than medium). Drizzle the fig-balsamic syrup and the honey over and around the lamb and serve.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Master Chef

if you don't like lamb, that's okay. you don't have to force yourself to like something that doesn't agree w/ your tastebuds.
that aside, i LOVE lamb. have you tried lamb ribs chops? you season them (i use seasalt, fresh-cracked black pepper, ground sage, garlic powder, and sometimes rosemary.) broil them to medium rare, but just before they reach that point, you can put a little crumbled gorgonzola or a dab of basil pesto on them and allow it to melt a little. sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
have you tried lamb burgers or gyros yet? they're both pretty good. those are the first ways i had lamb.
try it again when you get a little older if you still don't like it after our suggestions. i know that once i hit my 20's i began to like just about anything, even if i didn't like it as a kid.
oh, and by the way, welcome to the site.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
Cook

Re: I hate lamb

First, thankyou both for replying to my thread. I have tried rack of lamb with a sort of breadcrumb crust and thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic and a little bit of lemon juice i believe, which was actually not that bad but also not my favorite. I have also tried a leg of lamb with garlic, salt, and pepper (no herbs ), which i honestly didn't like very much.
Thankyou also for wecoming me to the site, giving me a couple hints, and also for giving me the recipe (sounds delicious).
Maybe i do have to wait a little (or alot) to actually apprecitae lamb, but until then ill stick to pork, beef and, well you get the idea.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Mitch no worries that you don't like lamb. Why try and force yourself to like something that you don't care for? I have had lamb half a dozen times and still don't like it. Give me an ole pork chop any day over lamb. :)
Old 06-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Lamb is wonderful if it's cooked right.
I take my leg of lamb and slice holes in it to stick garlic cloves into.
Then rub with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano. I put it in a roasting
pan and add peeled potatoes that I've also rubbed with some of the olive oil mixture.
Yummmmy!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Nope, nope, nope, won't change my mind. Just hand over a nice T-Bone and I will be more than happy. :)
Old 06-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hey... I like it when people don't like lamb. It means that there is more for Paul and I.

Don't worry Icy, I'll make you a T-bone anytime.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
Cook

Re: I hate lamb

Haha
Thanks again guys and gals, and good suggestion ill have to try that some time.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
Head Chef

i prefer goat to lamb,but lamb chops r really good fried on high heat in a cast-iron skillet in a little oil.