I hate lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just wondering if you guys and gals have any good recipes with lamb, because everytime i tried(twice) to make it i didnt like it very much. I tried it once on my fourteenth birthday( yes i am fourteen), and didnt like it very much. I amso tried it recently and again didnt like it. Now i know i dont like lamb but there has have to be something that can make it taste alright. I apreciate and recipes or tips posted.

Thankyou & Later:-p

What kind of cuts have you been using? Certain cuts of lamb are more gamey than others. Also, where has the lamb been raised? Australian and New Zealand lamb tend to be more gamey than American raised lamb. I would look for the following cuts since they will have less of that strong flavor:
  • Rack of Lamb
  • Loin Chops
  • Loin or Tenderloin
Cuts that are usually designated as "lamb chops" usually have a pretty strong flavor, as are lamb legs and lamb roasts. The three cuts listed above are pretty mild. Out of the three, the loin chops would be the cheapest to buy.

Here's a recipe that's pretty simple, easy to make, and good. You don't have to use a rack for this, one of the other three cuts will work just as well.

Grilled Herb-Garlic Marninated Rack of Lamb with Fig-Balsamic Syrup and Cranberry Honey

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 full Lamb Racks, frenched and trimmed of fat
2/3 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves Fresh Garlic
1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
1 Tbsp. Fresh Flat Leaf or Regular Parsley
2 c. store bought Fig Infused Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp. White Sugar
1/4 c. store bought Cranberry Honey (or whatever honey you have)
Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper

Method:

In a food processor or blender, combine the oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Pulse until incorporated, then in a ziplock bag or shallow marinating dish, pour the mixture over the lamb and massage onto surface of the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight. In a sauce pan, add the vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Bring the heat down to a simmer, and reduce the vinegar until it becomes thick and syrupy. You should have about 1/3 c. remaining if it's properly reduced. Remove from heat and keep warm. Prepare grill. Remove the lamb from the fridge and marinade and let it sit for 15 minutes at room temp. Season both sides with kosher salt and pepper, and grill lamb to desired doneness (but no more than medium). Drizzle the fig-balsamic syrup and the honey over and around the lamb and serve.

Last edited:
if you don't like lamb, that's okay. you don't have to force yourself to like something that doesn't agree w/ your tastebuds.
that aside, i LOVE lamb. have you tried lamb ribs chops? you season them (i use seasalt, fresh-cracked black pepper, ground sage, garlic powder, and sometimes rosemary.) broil them to medium rare, but just before they reach that point, you can put a little crumbled gorgonzola or a dab of basil pesto on them and allow it to melt a little. sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
have you tried lamb burgers or gyros yet? they're both pretty good. those are the first ways i had lamb.
try it again when you get a little older if you still don't like it after our suggestions. i know that once i hit my 20's i began to like just about anything, even if i didn't like it as a kid.
oh, and by the way, welcome to the site.

First, thankyou both for replying to my thread. I have tried rack of lamb with a sort of breadcrumb crust and thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic and a little bit of lemon juice i believe, which was actually not that bad but also not my favorite. I have also tried a leg of lamb with garlic, salt, and pepper (no herbs:( ), which i honestly didn't like very much.
Thankyou also for wecoming me to the site, giving me a couple hints, and also for giving me the recipe (sounds delicious:)).
Maybe i do have to wait a little (or alot) to actually apprecitae lamb, but until then ill stick to pork, beef and, well you get the idea.

Mitch no worries that you don't like lamb. Why try and force yourself to like something that you don't care for? I have had lamb half a dozen times and still don't like it. Give me an ole pork chop any day over lamb. :)

Lamb is wonderful if it's cooked right.
I take my leg of lamb and slice holes in it to stick garlic cloves into.
Then rub with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano. I put it in a roasting
pan and add peeled potatoes that I've also rubbed with some of the olive oil mixture.
Yummmmy!

Nope, nope, nope, won't change my mind. Just hand over a nice T-Bone and I will be more than happy. :)

Hey... I like it when people don't like lamb. It means that there is more for Paul and I.

Don't worry Icy, I'll make you a T-bone anytime.

i prefer goat to lamb,but lamb chops r really good fried on high heat in a cast-iron skillet in a little oil.

I love lamb and find it getting less and less flavorfull; quite often it just tastes like beef. I'm in the camp of trying to educate your palate and learning to like foods you might not at first blush. It sure makes travel and international freindships more interesting if you can learn to enjoy new foods, because much of any culture is the food. Remember with meats, be it lamb or game meats, more fat means a stronger flavor. You'll get less of the gamier flavor in the leaner cuts. I think you're on the right track. Bravo for trying. I'd say to let it go for awhile and try again later. Who knows? Maybe some day you'll be on a Greek Isle and be presented with a kabab to die for, or be given a morsel in Turkey by a belly dancer, or ....

Hehe, thankyou for the advice claire. And Sarah I was wondering how hard it is to attain goat now-a-days, because i've never seen it in stores, or heard of it online. So if anyone knows a meat company that will ship goat, then please post the url (i think its called) on this forum.
Adios.

You may be able to find it in the ethnic markets in Toronto. It would be available at least during the holiday season and perhaps year-'round. Let your fingers do the walking...

As a side note, I see it in the supermarket every February in Aruba but haven't yet bought any. I think it would be a hard sell for my SO.

sarah said:
i prefer goat to lamb,but lamb chops r really good fried on high heat in a cast-iron skillet in a little oil.

I love goat too Sarah but, it's pretty hard to find in
Washington. I eat as much as possible on our trips to Greece though. The next trip is planned for next summer and my mouth is already watering at the thought of our "welcome home dinner".

mitch_the_chef said:
Hehe, thankyou for the advice claire. And Sarah I was wondering how hard it is to attain goat now-a-days, because i've never seen it in stores, or heard of it online. So if anyone knows a meat company that will ship goat, then please post the url (i think its called) on this forum.
Adios.
You should be able to buy goat in any Latin American, Middle Eastern, or Pilipino specialty meat market in the greater Toronto area. Toronto is pretty diversified, ethnically speaking, so it shouldn't be all THAT hard to find.

Here is a lamb recipe I developed for a friend who wanted something with an "Italian Twist" to it. It was originally a Greek recipe with different seasonings and Feta cheese.

Lamb roast, boneless leg, or loin, 3 to 5 pounds

Marinade:
1 lemon, juice and zest
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Topping:

1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 cup gorgonzola

To make the Marinade: Zest the lemon, juice the lemon, then mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass bowl or large measuring cup. Place the lamb in a plastic storage bag, pour the marinade onto the meat, squeeze out all the air, then seal the bag. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or overnight, in the refrigerator of course.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Roast the lamb for 25 to 40 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 145F (medium rare) to 170F (medium) Allow to rest 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

After slicing the lamb and arranging it on a serving platter, mix all topping ingredients except cheese together and spoon over lamb. Crumble cheese over topping, then garnish with rosemary sprig, if desired.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lamb recipe Caine. I wil have to try it to see if it changes the way i feel about lamb. Also thanks to the other who have posted on where i could find goat. I guess toronto is pretty diverse, and ill have to go out one of these weekends to see if I can find some.

Adios.

OKAY red face here. I was reading the different responses and realized that there is a lamb dish that I use to eat once a week at work. I absolutely loved it. Has been years since I have last eaten it, but may have to try making it. This recipe is close I think. I use to order the greek salad, gyro and potato salad. Ummmmy!!!!!

Gyro with Greek Sauce

[font=verdana,arial,helventica]Ingredients [/font]

• [font=verdana,arial,helventica]
    [*]2 lbs lamb
    [*]4 scallion; chopped
    [*]1 clove garlic; minced
    [*]1 tsp oregano
    [*]1/4 tsp cumin
    [*]1/4 tsp parsley
    [*]1 tsp salt
    [*]1/4 tsp pepper; freshly ground,
    [*]8 pita pockets
    [/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helventica]Directions [/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helventica]
  1. [font=verdana,arial,helventica]
    [*]Mix all ingredients, except pita. On skewer, pack meat mixture about 5" long and not more than 2" in diameter.
    [*]Put as many 2" long hunks of meat as possible on a skewer leaving a little space in between.
    [*]Heat a skillet to medium-hot. Cook Skewered meat for 10 minutes (or until fully cooked), turning frequently.
    [*]Take pita and slide meat into center. Drizzle with sauce and serve hot. TO MAKE THE GREEK SAUCE:

[*]Mix together 1 cup yogurt; juice of 1 lemon; 1/8 tsp dill weed, 2 chopped scallions; 2 tbsp chopped, peeled, and seeded cucumbers
    [/font]
[/font]

I also have a couple of Middle Eastern recipes with lamb, but they're not mine, they belong to a dear friend from Lebanon, so I do not feel I have a right to post them.

Hi Mitch - the marinating ideas might be your last resort - if you still don't like that I think you can honestly say I HATE lamb! lol

This is just a simple red wine/soy marinade but it might change the flavor enough so you will find it enjoyable. I would use a leg of lamb and marinate overnight.

[font=Comic Sans MS, Kids, Tahoma, Arial][font=Comic Sans MS, Kids, Tahoma, Arial]
2 cups red wine dry
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy or teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

If you like these ingredients I would also add
1 bunch of sliced scallions and about 1 tsp fresh grated or minced ginger
[font=Comic Sans MS, Kids, Tahoma, Arial][font=Comic Sans MS, Kids, Tahoma, Arial][/font][/font]
Combine all ingredients and
marinate lamb overnight

After marinating you may boil the marinade for 10
minutes and use as a basting sauce.
[/font]
[/font]

Thanks guys and gals.

Hmm not ot put the others in the books but i think i'll try the marinating method. seemed simple enough and may be a good idea to change the flavors a bit. But still thankyou to all who posted in this thread. I really am happy that i got a bunch of great lamb recipes for myself and others.:)

Adios.

Back
Top Bottom