I have a question about beets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Bean

Master Chef
It's kind of stupid, but I am making a breaded chicken breast tonight with gravy. I have broccoli, cauliflower, red beets and peas on hand, but we have had peas 2 times recently. My BF doesn't care for cauliflower or broccoli. Do you think red beets would go with a chicken dinner?

Yep, they would be lovely. Are you going to boil or roast them? I like them boiled myself and then drizzled with some vinegar. MMMM!

I'm boiling them, but I don't think he would like them with vinegar, even though that sounds delish! I'll just use butter, salt-n-pepper. Thank you, Alix!

They are pretty tasty roasted too. I have a friend who loves them that way.

Put some lemon juice or vinegar on the table, maybe he'll try them and love them that way! ;)

The greens are very healthy and taste great. Don't throw them away. Sautee them and add the chopped boiled beets to them. Pretty presentation, too.

They are pretty tasty roasted too. I have a friend who loves them that way.

Put some lemon juice or vinegar on the table, maybe he'll try them and love them that way! ;)
He just wanted butter, salt and pepper, but they turned out great. I'll make them for myself sometime, and use your vinegar and lemon juice idea. Here was our dinner.
img_784328_0_fb32940d5310530ed5bbf6c75b2a2c32.jpg

img_784328_1_8e21720b494778ce028cd47cfbac1317.jpg

The chicken was coated with homemade, seasoned cornbread crumbs and topped with sliced onion, tomato and green onion and baked.... plain ol' mashed taters with a bit of green onion added.

Looks lovely! That's a BIG helping of beets though, he must have an appetite!:LOL:
I happen to think beetroot and mashed potato is a combination made in heaven.:)

That looks great Vanilla Bean. For fresh beats I enjoy roasting them. But, beats are hard to beet. well that's stupid I guess But I do like them and your meal does look great!

David, LOL! I like that! And beets ARE hard to beat. They are so tasty. My kids just can't get over how they look to taste them though. To be honest, I like them so much I don't push them. More for me that way!

I love beets, but my favorite are pickled! I will have to try them with vinegar as Alix said. I don't like a lot of greens (collards, Swiss chard, yuck), but I love spinach and I love beet greens.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom