"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Which is the exact shade I am now.

Thanks for the correction. I think in the future I'll just call it that skinny spaghetti stuff.

No issue. We all knew what you meant, and it was kind of cute.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Which is the exact shade I am right now.

Thanks for the correction. I think in the future I'll just call it that skinny spaghetti stuff. (I think this is the closest I'm going to get to wearing a chef's hat!).
I avoid the issue by using angel hair pasta.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm assuming you're using the brand name rice-a-toni (a boxed rice pilaf) to describe pilaf you make yourself.

To get the best out of the chicken, cook it separately. Make the pilaf and while it's cooking, sauté the chicken in a skillet and serve it next to the pilaf. If you cook chicken in the pilaf, it's likely to be overcooked and dry.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
At 20 minutes, the rice would have absorbed all the water. If it cooks in the dish without water, will it then stick or burn to the bottom of the dish?

So I guess I did waste an extra cups of chicken broth and seasonings then. Well, live and learn. Thank you, everyone. I love adding hamburger to Rice-a-Roni, but I've never added chicken before. I'm definitely going to do this more often thanks to the suggestions I've gotten here.

I just have to learn to cut back a wee bit on the cayenne. *still fanning mouth*
With the foil on the rice doesn't burn and if you prep the pan with spray oil like PAM it doesn't stick. The rice is more sticky but we like it that way.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
At 20 minutes, the rice would have absorbed all the water. If it cooks in the dish without water, will it then stick or burn to the bottom of the dish?

So I guess I did waste an extra cups of chicken broth and seasonings then. Well, live and learn. Thank you, everyone. I love adding hamburger to Rice-a-Roni, but I've never added chicken before. I'm definitely going to do this more often thanks to the suggestions I've gotten here.

I just have to learn to cut back a wee bit on the cayenne. *still fanning mouth*
We have a recipe that was brought home from a pot luck by my MIL. My wife learned it from her, and I modified it to cook on the stove top instead of in a casserole dish. It is yummy. This was done when DW was a child. She and her siblings were asked what to name it by their mother. They called it Ralph, of all things. The name stuck, it's delicious, and here's how you make it.

Full Batch, Original Recipe Ingredients:
4 ½ cups water
2 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 cup Long Grain Rice
1 cup Chopped Celery
¼ cup Slivered Almonds (optional)
1 Onion, diced
2 lbs. Ground beef, browned

Place all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Test to make sure the rice is done. Serve.

Modified for a family of 4 to 5
Ingredients:
2 ¾ cup water
1 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 ½ lbs. Ground beef, browned
1 stalk Celery, sliced
¾ cup diced Onion
2 tbs. butter.

Combine all ingredients into a suitable pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Serve

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm assuming you're using the brand name rice-a-toni (a boxed rice pilaf) to describe pilaf you make yourself.
Er, no. At 88¢/box, I'm using the boxed Rice-a-Roni for the time being. Although if I ever get another couple of canisters so I have a place to store rice, I might eat it more often. I only really have one shelf of one cupboard to store all my food on and the little boxes of Rice-a-Roni can be laid flat on top of everything else after I do the month's shopping.

And when they fall out of the cupboard when I'm digging for something else, it doesn't hurt when they land on my toes.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
We have a recipe that was brought home from a pot luck by my MIL. My wife learned it from her, and I modified it to cook on the stove top instead of in a casserole dish. It is yummy. This was done when DW was a child. She and her siblings were asked what to name it by their mother. They called it Ralph, of all things. The name stuck, it's delicious, and here's how you make it.

Full Batch, Original Recipe Ingredients:
4 ½ cups water
2 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 cup Long Grain Rice
1 cup Chopped Celery
¼ cup Slivered Almonds (optional)
1 Onion, diced
2 lbs. Ground beef, browned

Place all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Test to make sure the rice is done. Serve.

Modified for a family of 4 to 5
Ingredients:
2 ¾ cup water
1 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 ½ lbs. Ground beef, browned
1 stalk Celery, sliced
¾ cup diced Onion
2 tbs. butter.

Combine all ingredients into a suitable pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Serve

That's kind of how I make the Rice-a-Roni with hamburger. Except I also flavor the rice with onion and garlic powder, and throw in chopped onion and some minced garlic with the hamburger, along with some salt, pepper, cayenne, Italian seasoning, and some extra basil and parsley flakes.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
That's kind of how I make the Rice-a-Roni with hamburger. Except I also flavor the rice with onion and garlic powder, and throw in chopped onion and some minced garlic with the hamburger, along with some salt, pepper, cayenne, Italian seasoning, and some extra basil and parsley flakes.
Yup, there is diced onion in mine as well. I do seperate the completed dish into two haves as I like more seasoning in mine. My wife loves the recipe as is. I add thyme, sage, and black pepper, along with butter to top it all with. I've also added grated carrot, and frozen peas to the mixture before bringing to a boil. You can even add scrambled egg if you like. It's a pretty versatile recipe. For me though, I need to have the added herbs and spices to turn it from good to great.

I have also made the dish using Better Than Bouillon brand beef bouillon with vermicelli instead of the Lipton's soup with chicken. Then I call it Norton, as Ralph and his best freind Norton are best friends, but different personalities in the Honeymooners skit on the old Jackie Gleason show. So when made with chicken flavor, it's Ralph. With beef flavor, it's Norton. Oh yeh! "And away we go!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Er, no. At 88¢/box, I'm using the boxed Rice-a-Roni for the time being. Although if I ever get another couple of canisters so I have a place to store rice, I might eat it more often. I only really have one shelf of one cupboard to store all my food on and the little boxes of Rice-a-Roni can be laid flat on top of everything else after I do the month's shopping.

And when they fall out of the cupboard when I'm digging for something else, it doesn't hurt when they land on my toes.
OK. I stand corrected. Consider trying the Near East brand. It's closer to home made.

My recommendation is still valid.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

To get the best out of the chicken, cook it separately. Make the pilaf and while it's cooking, sauté the chicken in a skillet and serve it next to the pilaf. If you cook chicken in the pilaf, it's likely to be overcooked and dry.
+1. You are spot on with that advice.

Tags
chicken, rice