"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
Sous Chef

I have a question about chicken in Rice-a-Roni

So tonight I cut up a chicken breast and put it in a dish with 2 cups of chicken broth, some herbs, a couple bay leaves, etc. After about 20 minutes, I started the Rice-a-Roni, browning the vermillon first.

After the vermillion was browned, I added 2 1/2 cups of more chicken broth to the Rice-a-Roni (supposed to be water, but I'm a sucker for chicken broth), seasoned exactly like I had flavored the chicken, and then I fished the chicken out of its pan and added it to the Rice-Roni.

At that point I had a DUH moment (the heat this last week has addled my brain). Why couldn't I use the liquid I poached the chicken in instead of making a whole new 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth to add to the rice? Would it be too fatty from the chicken to use?

Then I was wondering if there is an easier way still? Would I be able to cut up the raw chicken breast, put it in 2 1/2 cups of flavored chicken broth along with the Rice-a-Roni (after I browned the vermillion) and cook the whole thing in the oven? Would the chicken get done after only 20 minutes in the oven?

Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
Executive Chef

If you cut the chicken breast meat small enough and browned it well, it should be almost done, so an additional 20 minutes in the oven would suffice, for sure....

Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, you can put the raw chicken in the Rice a Roni and either bake it or simmer it on the stovetop. Either will work.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Head Chef

I would brown the cut up chicken right along with the Rice-a-Roni, then finish as you normally would.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

I do mine in the oven. I put the Rice-a-Roni in the baking dish, add the water (broth) as directed, dot it with butter, then I put the chicken breasts in whole. Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 mins at 350F. Remove the foil and then you can cut up the chicken and stir it in. I sometimes just brush the breasts with BBQ sauce and return to the oven just long enough to bake the sauce on the breasts. Of course the Rice-a-Roni is not the same consistency as if you cooked it on the stove top but you still get the flavor and it's easy.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Master Chef

This is your best choice...
Quote:
Then I was wondering if there is an easier way still? Would I be able to cut up the raw chicken breast, put it in 2 1/2 cups of flavored chicken broth along with the Rice-a-Roni (after I browned the vermillion) and cook the whole thing in the oven? Would the chicken get done after only 20 minutes in the oven?
It could also be done covered on the stove top, and 20 minutes would be more than enough time for breast chunks.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So tonight I cut up a chicken breast and put it in a dish with 2 cups of chicken broth, some herbs, a couple bay leaves, etc. After about 20 minutes, I started the Rice-a-Roni, browning the vermillon first.

After the vermillion was browned, I added 2 1/2 cups of more chicken broth to the Rice-a-Roni (supposed to be water, but I'm a sucker for chicken broth), seasoned exactly like I had flavored the chicken, and then I fished the chicken out of its pan and added it to the Rice-Roni.
Just a point that I can't pass up... it's vermicelli. Vermillion is a shade of red.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Just a point that I can't pass up... it's vermicelli. Vermillion is a shade of red.

Picky picky
Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I do mine in the oven. I put the Rice-a-Roni in the baking dish, add the water (broth) as directed, dot it with butter, then I put the chicken breasts in whole. Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 mins at 350F. Remove the foil and then you can cut up the chicken and stir it in. I sometimes just brush the breasts with BBQ sauce and return to the oven just long enough to bake the sauce on the breasts. Of course the Rice-a-Roni is not the same consistency as if you cooked it on the stove top but you still get the flavor and it's easy.
At 20 minutes, the rice would have absorbed all the water. If it cooks in the dish without water, will it then stick or burn to the bottom of the dish?

So I guess I did waste an extra cups of chicken broth and seasonings then. Well, live and learn. Thank you, everyone. I love adding hamburger to Rice-a-Roni, but I've never added chicken before. I'm definitely going to do this more often thanks to the suggestions I've gotten here.

I just have to learn to cut back a wee bit on the cayenne. *still fanning mouth*
Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Which is the exact shade I am right now.

Thanks for the correction. I think in the future I'll just call it that skinny spaghetti stuff. (I think this is the closest I'm going to get to wearing a chef's hat!).

Tags
chicken, rice