"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Stinemates: and stocked up on 5 Spice

What are the ingredients in your 5 Spice?

The 5 Spice that I have found has allspice instead of szechuan peppercorns.
Looking at the label now, it says: fennel, anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, apparently it's a 'Product of Taiwan' made by Dragonfly.

Never seen the one with Szechuan peppercorns, but I have whole ones I can grind in the mortar and pestle. Never tried them, though. Are they worthwhile? I may have to crack some open tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:36 AM   #12
Head Chef

Never seen the one with Szechuan peppercorns, but I have whole ones I can grind in the mortar and pestle. Never tried them, though. Are they worthwhile? I may have to crack some open tomorrow.

They are chinese and allspice is american. It is worth the crack! (just don't mix with 5 spice which already has allspice)

Old 12-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinemates
Looking at the label now, it says: fennel, anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, apparently it's a 'Product of Taiwan' made by Dragonfly.

stinemates, the mix in Chinese five-spice powder varies somewhat in some Asian countries. However the standard ingredients are Sichuan peppercorns, star anise, cloves, fennel and cinnamon. Sometimes fennel is replaced by nutmeg or ginger. This powder incorporates the five flavors which are sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and salty in Chinese cooking. Just add some ground Sichuan peppercorn or black peppercorn to your mix to give it a more balance taste.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

There's a wonderful big ethnic market here in Centreville, VA. Not just Asian - multicultural. I'm convinced that if you can't find something there, it doesn't exist - lol!!!

Huge produce department with everything under the sun, a seafood department with live fish in tanks + all sorts of imported whole frozen fish of infinite variety, dry goods up the wazoo, lots of interesting meat cuts, & a large refrigerated section of all sorts of dumplings, etc., etc., etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Breezy, how do you not spend at least an hour there every day? I think I could become addicted.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Master Chef

Trust me - it would be impossible if it weren't about an hour's drive from me.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Hi stinemates,

If you like Asian markets, come to Sacramento, CA..there are tons of markets that cater to Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Philippine tastes and interests!!!

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote