I love asian markets.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinemates

Senior Cook
Today I found the coolest asian market! I got a dozen quail eggs for $1, thai basil for $0.50, 5 bunches of lemongrass for $1.19.. and a bunch of egg noodles for Ramen, soy sauce, and stocked up on 5 Spice. Price? $7. Yessssssssss! :)

Do you have a local hotspot you go to for good deals?

Tomorrow we're headed to the farmers market in San Francisco, which is ALWAYS a treat.

Yes, there is a small Asian market in my suburban town. There is a giant Asian supermarket about 30-45 minutes away that has everything you could imagine along with a thousand things you didn't know existed.

I cant imagine eating the dried fish 'chips' they sell in bags like we eat potato chips! Those look totally weird! :X

stinemates said:
Today I found the coolest asian market! I got a dozen quail eggs for $1, thai basil for $0.50, 5 bunches of lemongrass for $1.19.. and a bunch of egg noodles for Ramen, soy sauce, and stocked up on 5 Spice. Price? $7. Yessssssssss! :)

Tomorrow we're headed to the farmers market in San Francisco, which is ALWAYS a treat.
Well steinemates, on the outskirts of San Fransisco few would be surprised that there are great Asian markets. In the center of the country, it might take a little more seeking out but they might be more accessible than one would think. I am very sorry that I can't remember the name of the store in Memphis on Summer Ave. West of the Perimeter mall on the other side of the street. It is in a red strip mall type configuration with the grocery behind a restaurant. They don't advertise, but if you ask for something unavailable in one of the smaller Asian stores, you might be directed toward them.

My experience is that most of the time I am the only one in the store speaking English. This doesn't bother me because I've gotten used to it in Mexican and Egyptian markets.

In my opinion, this is the equivalent of urban harvesting of the best available products.

Last edited:
I love getting a good price, and even better, I love trying new food. Are farmers (outdoor) markets abundant in Memphis? It's really starting to catch on here, and I couldn't be more excited about it

stinemates said:
I love getting a good price, and even better, I love trying new food. Are farmers (outdoor) markets abundant in Memphis? It's really starting to catch on here, and I couldn't be more excited about it
There are two, to my knowlegge. One is slightly suburban in the Agricenter in Germantown (if it isn't in Germantown's city limits, most local folks think of it as being there). The other I have never been to and so, I am not qualified to comment.

Last edited:
Since you're near the Bay Area, you should check out the Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley if you haven't been there before - amazing produce and other unique items at decent prices.

Stinemates: and stocked up on 5 Spice

What are the ingredients in your 5 Spice?

The 5 Spice that I have found has allspice instead of szechuan peppercorns.

stinemates said:
I cant imagine eating the dried fish 'chips' they sell in bags like we eat potato chips! Those look totally weird! :X
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
stinemates, if the chips are too hard for you, why don't you try deep frying them like the Asians do. You will be surprised what will become of them in the process!!

stinemates said:

Unfortunately over here, there are no good deals for Asian products. I have to pay premium prices at the supermarkets!

StirBlue said:
Stinemates: and stocked up on 5 Spice

What are the ingredients in your 5 Spice?

The 5 Spice that I have found has allspice instead of szechuan peppercorns.

Looking at the label now, it says: fennel, anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, apparently it's a 'Product of Taiwan' made by Dragonfly.

Never seen the one with Szechuan peppercorns, but I have whole ones I can grind in the mortar and pestle. Never tried them, though. Are they worthwhile? I may have to crack some open tomorrow.

Never seen the one with Szechuan peppercorns, but I have whole ones I can grind in the mortar and pestle. Never tried them, though. Are they worthwhile? I may have to crack some open tomorrow.

They are chinese and allspice is american. It is worth the crack! (just don't mix with 5 spice which already has allspice)

stinemates said:
Looking at the label now, it says: fennel, anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, apparently it's a 'Product of Taiwan' made by Dragonfly.

stinemates, the mix in Chinese five-spice powder varies somewhat in some Asian countries. However the standard ingredients are Sichuan peppercorns, star anise, cloves, fennel and cinnamon. Sometimes fennel is replaced by nutmeg or ginger. This powder incorporates the five flavors which are sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and salty in Chinese cooking. Just add some ground Sichuan peppercorn or black peppercorn to your mix to give it a more balance taste.

There's a wonderful big ethnic market here in Centreville, VA. Not just Asian - multicultural. I'm convinced that if you can't find something there, it doesn't exist - lol!!!

Huge produce department with everything under the sun, a seafood department with live fish in tanks + all sorts of imported whole frozen fish of infinite variety, dry goods up the wazoo, lots of interesting meat cuts, & a large refrigerated section of all sorts of dumplings, etc., etc., etc.

Hi stinemates,

If you like Asian markets, come to Sacramento, CA..there are tons of markets that cater to Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Philippine tastes and interests!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom