"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
My quick answer: AFAIK no way will garlic hurt your health, might even help it.
You might want to read the link I posted.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs View Post
Hello everyone.

Well, I love garlic. Unfortunately, I can't eat them raw because I stink and everyone I come in contact with wants to run away from me if I do. But I do cook a ton of my dishes with garlic. Most of the time, I will boil them so they are easily mash-able so I can put them in my dishes. However, since I love them so much, I can easily eat 10+ garlic cloves with one meal. For example, today I cooked a chicken breast with a soy sauce based soup/sauce. I boiled about 15 garlic cloves in the sauce for about an hour. I then mashed them all up and ate it with my chicken.

Is it ok to consume this much garlic? I do love the flavor, but a big part of why I try and add garlic in my cooking is also for the health benefits. Am I still receiving nutrients from the boiled garlic, or are all the health benefits gone after they are boiled? Is there a better way to cook them?

TIA for any advice and suggestions!
There has been some work carried out which suggests that excessive consumption of garlic can caused haemolytic anaemia.

Prevention of garlic-induced hemolytic anemia usi... [J Med Food. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

I don't know what constitutes an excessive amount in humans but in horses a study showed that they had to consume 750 grammes a day (roughly a pound and a half) to induce the anaema. (The recommended dose of the 100% garlic powder I give Horse in one level teaspoon twice a day - nowhere near the equivalent of 750 grammes of fresh garlic!)

On the good side it has been shown to help the heart (a friend's husband was advised by his cardiologist to eat garlic for his heart's sake), in dogs and horses (and probably humans) it deters intestinal worms (although it shouldn't be used as an alternative to conventional antihelmintics), it's said to be good for the respiratory system and it deters flies and midges (it works for Horse in this last case). During the WWI they used to mash up garlic and use it on field dressings as an antiseptic.

There is a French (unscientific) theory that the more you consume the less you smell of it. I can't vouch for the truth of this.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Forty clove chicken!
I had that once. The person who made it had peeled every clove. I had most of the cloves and a thigh. Usually you don't peel the garlic cloves. You're right Craig. YUM!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I've never boiled it before, but I do love it roasted and mashed on toasted French bread. I eat a fair amount but nowhere near 10-15 cloves a day.

Welcome to DC!
I put a couple of peeled cloves in the water with the potatoes and leave them there. Then when I mash them I mash them right with the potatoes.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Fair question GG, Sorry I did not get back to you quicker, just time differences.There are certain foods that can have an adverse affect on the blood/liver/heart when eaten to excess. It doesn't mean as in 'getting hot' because of the external temperature (weather for instance) but internally by making these organs work much harder, so like any engine, can overheat Overdosing on vitamins is another cause sometimes. Check out this site as I am sure it will explain it better than me. Heat Stress - Princeton University
web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/heatstress/heatstress.htm

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Garlic fudge.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Fair question GG, Sorry I did not get back to you quicker, just time differences.There are certain foods that can have an adverse affect on the blood/liver/heart when eaten to excess. It doesn't mean as in 'getting hot' because of the external temperature (weather for instance) but internally by making these organs work much harder, so like any engine, can overheat Overdosing on vitamins is another cause sometimes. Check out this site as I am sure it will explain it better than me. Heat Stress - Princeton University
web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/heatstress/heatstress.htm
Thanks, MM. I understand what you mean, although that article is about too much exposure to environmental heat.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Oops! Should have read it more carefully shouldn't I?. Still, you get what I mean.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, so I will cut my garlic consumption down to about 3-5 cloves a day I guess. It's just that when you boil them and mash them, they are so easy to eat. The flavor is not strong at all and you can easily eat 10 cloves.

How about as far as nutritional benefits when eating the garlic raw vs. cooked? From what I've read, it's best to eat it raw, AFTER they have been chopped up. However, since the smell is so strong, I usually boil and eat them. Does this strip the nutrients from the garlic?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, so I will cut my garlic consumption down to about 3-5 cloves a day I guess. It's just that when you boil them and mash them, they are so easy to eat. The flavor is not strong at all and you can easily eat 10 cloves.

How about as far as nutritional benefits when eating the garlic raw vs. cooked? From what I've read, it's best to eat it raw, AFTER they have been chopped up. However, since the smell is so strong, I usually boil and eat them. Does this strip the nutrients from the garlic?
Personally unless you are on the dating circuit, who cares about garlic smell?
I love the stuff and pay little if any attention this perceived problem.

Has anyone told you they smell garlic on you? I may smell like garlic (i hope not) but no one ever mentioned it including my close family.
My wife would tell me if there was an issue.

So, whats the real issue. Love of garlic or concern about others perception of you?

Tags
garlic, health, healthy, oil