"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #41
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Well, about eating too much garlic, I don't know. Depending on how many bats are in your belfry could make a difference, I reckon.

LOL!

Once when I was a kid, I was in the kitchen with Mom as usual, at her elbow as she cooked. I wanted a taste of uncooked garlic, so I picked up a clove and bit right into it.

I...
NEVER...
DID...
THAT...
AGAIN...
EVER!!!
__________________

__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #42
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,265
Since garlic can pair nicely with tomatoes I guess we haven't strayed too far OT, right?

In case you're interested, this is a short-and-sweet history of the Love Apple. (tomato (fruit) -- Encyclopedia Britannica) I especially like the part about tomatoes being grown in Thomas Jefferson's garden. I'm rather fond of our 3rd president.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Since garlic can pair nicely with tomatoes I guess we haven't strayed too far OT, right?

In case you're interested, this is a short-and-sweet history of the Love Apple. (tomato (fruit) -- Encyclopedia Britannica) I especially like the part about tomatoes being grown in Thomas Jefferson's garden. I'm rather fond of our 3rd president.
Well, we finally have someone who can spell long words. YEA Thank you CG. You didn't run to Wiki. And we all know how reliable that source is.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Since garlic can pair nicely with tomatoes I guess we haven't strayed too far OT, right?

In case you're interested, this is a short-and-sweet history of the Love Apple. (tomato (fruit) -- Encyclopedia Britannica) I especially like the part about tomatoes being grown in Thomas Jefferson's garden. I'm rather fond of our 3rd president.
If you've never been to his home in Monticello, it's worth a visit. The foundation that maintains the property has planted the garden the same way he did - he kept detailed notes on everything he did. The rest of the house is pretty interesting, too.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #45
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We're back from a week's vacation and I found one garlic bulb and a separate clove sprouting. I'll plant them in the garden tomorrow.
Do you just plant a clove and get bulbs from it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, we finally have someone who can spell long words. YEA Thank you CG. You didn't run to Wiki. And we all know how reliable that source is.
I think Wiki is fairly accurate on many things.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Do you just plant a clove and get bulbs from it!
Yes, that's exactly how it works It takes about 6-8 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I think Wiki is fairly accurate on many things.
It's more accurate than it used to be. I think they tightened up on the idea of allowing anyone to edit anything.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

It's more accurate than it used to be. I think they tightened up on the idea of allowing anyone to edit anything.
And it is because anyone could go in and change the information to their liking. Most of the correct information has been copied from reliable sources. But some of it is way out of date, needs updating and just plain garbage.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #48
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

If you've never been to his home in Monticello, it's worth a visit. The foundation that maintains the property has planted the garden the same way he did - he kept detailed notes on everything he did. The rest of the house is pretty interesting, too.
GG, we've been there two or three times. I think my favorite thing is the hole in the foyer so that the clock weight can drop down. It gives me a smile knowing even super-smart Jefferson could make a mistake. We've also been to Poplar Forest at least twice. I think I like that one even better just because that's where he would go to "relax".
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
GG, we've been there two or three times. I think my favorite thing is the hole in the foyer so that the clock weight can drop down. It gives me a smile knowing even super-smart Jefferson could make a mistake. We've also been to Poplar Forest at least twice. I think I like that one even better just because that's where he would go to "relax".
We've had six exchange students, so I'd guess we've been there are least five times DH took pictures of his book holder at the Jefferson Memorial in DC and sent them to his dad, who is a retired Ford engineer and enjoys wood-working. He made me a replica of the book holder from the pix alone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-13 15.05.15.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	21519  
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
This man was smart enough to leave a his genius.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
garlic, health, healthy, oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.